Chapter One: Halt in Kroosborg

Hongjoong POV

It's a really sunny morning. I am standing at the steering wheel and navigating through the clouds. The wind is softly brushing through my hair and the constant sound of the propellers rings in my ears. Once again I think of my parents and the adventures we had together on this ship. I miss them but I understand why they wanted to settle down and that I have to go on my own adventures now.
I get interrupted from my thoughts when I hear Seonghwa's voice right next to me. "There is bird poo-poo on your shoulder.", he says and takes a wet cloth to remove it from my clothes. Then he continues to scrub the deck. He seems to love cleaning. Ever since he joined us he has been cleaning the boat everyday. I wonder why. Is it to keep his mind off of the things that happened?
I take a quick look at what the others are doing. Yunho, Mingi, Jongho and Yeosang are still playing cards on the main deck. They still seem a little bit tired from staying up late and celebrating our youngest crew member's birthday. Wooyoung and San are cuddling and talking on the main mast. After they were playing tag yesterday in the hallway at midnight  I told them to climb up there and tell me when we reach Kroosborg.
It seems like everyone became friends very quickly despite the fact that we all come from different regions and social backgrounds. Although sometimes I struggle to understand San. He really pronounces words weirdly.

After an hour Wooyoung suddenly starts screaming at the top of his lungs: "HEY I CAN SEE THE CITY! WE ARE ALMOST THERE! AND YOU NEED TO NAVIGATE A LITTLE MORE TO RIGHT HONGJOONG!"
I give him a thumbs up and spin the wheel to the right.

With the help of Wooyoung's instructions I savely park the ship in the harbor. We exit the ship and make our way to the city center. "We need more magic crystals for the engine, the cold storage and the water filtering system, new food supplies, new pants for San because he was dumb enough to rip them while demonstating that he can do the splits, sell the things we found on the last islands and search for someone who might know something about the treasure of Aninliggat.", I explain to the others, only to realize that none of them were listening because they were gazing at the big stone houses, the various shops and animals that are roaming through the streets. I sigh. Every day it is the same thing. I explain something to them and they are not listening. Sometimes I even question why I let them join my crew. "GUYS! We have things that need to be done. You can admire the city later.", I shout which causes at least half of them to react and the people around us to look at me weirdly. "But most of us haven't seen a big city like this. We just want to explore a little bit.", San says and pouts.
"We'll do that later. First work then the fun stuff. That's what my parents always used to say.", I state. "Hey Hongjoong! Over there is a tailor. Doesn't San need new pants?", Yeosang exclaims.
"Ah, yes. Thank you.", I reply.
"It's fine. I can stitch the hole. I really don't need new pants."
"San, I think when pants have been stitched so many times that they start to look like a patchwork blanket, it is time to throw them away.", Yunho says.
"Hongjoong could also just let you have the pair that you're wearing right now. He has to many clothes anyway.", Wooyoung suggest. "Absolutely not! They are one of my favorites and they are way to short on him anyway."

We enter the taylor's shop. The taylor takes San's measurements and tells us to come back tomorrow to pick the pants up. We move on to the machine store. The others are immeadiatly captivated by the machine plans and miniature models that are displayed in the shop while I negotiate the price of the crystals with the owner. After that it's time for grocery shopping.
We go to the marketplace and look at the different food stands there. First is the fruit stands. "We need to get apples again.", Jongho says.
"I want bananas.", Mingi adds.
"Can we have 20 apples and 8 bananas please?", I ask the fruit seller. While she counts and puts the fruits in our bag, I see that Wooyoung holds a big fruit, it kind of looks like a dark purple almost black potato, in his hands. "Oh, I have never seen this fruit.", Seonghwa exclaims.
"It's a sun fruit from the Nekra kingdom. The inside is bright yellow and it is said to be extremely healthy and make you more awake.", Wooyoung murmurs, his eyes become almost teary. Yeosang puts his arm around his younger friend. He also seems to be tense from looking at the fruit. Wooyoung puts the fruit back and hugs Yeosang tightly. "Since when does the Nekra kingdom sell fruits to other islands?", I ask the fruit seller. "Haven't you heard it yet? The Nekra kingdom threatened our council to either give them the big crystal mine on Tifbaech island in exchange for a trade agreement or they would take Tifbaech and two more island by force and assassinate one of the council members. Of course they didn't want to get into a conflict with the Nekra family and now we have a trade agreement with them.", she tells and hands me the bag with the fruits. "That is bad news. If they don't get stopped soon, our freedom will be in great danger."
"But they're just too mischievous, witty and scary. No one wants to declare war against them because the last time someone did that, it ended very badly."
I pay for the fruits and say goodbye to the woman. "Are you guys okay?", Seonghwa asks Wooyoung and Yeosang. They nod. "Let's have chicken for dinner tonight.", San suggests out of nowhere. "Did you say CHICKEN? That's a very good idea. I love chicken.", Yeosang remarks and smiles immediately at the thought of it. "Chicken it is then.", I say.
We quickly buy the rest of our supplies and bring them to our ship before we go to an inn for our dinner.
After that we explore the city a little bit like I promised them earlier. Then we go back to the ship.
While my crew plays hide and seek I go back to the Captain's Cabin and plan for tomorrow.
We still need to sell the things from our last treasure hunt, pick up San's pants, find someone who knows about the treasure of Aninliggat and I want to go treasure hunting in the mountains north of the city.
I write down everything we did today in my diary. Then I lay down in my bed. Being the captain of a ship is different than I thought it would be. Sometimes I wonder how my life would be if I stayed with my parents. If I didn't accept the ship and instead settled down and got a real job instead.

4 months earlier
I enter the main deck. It is still early in the morning and a soft breeze is blowing. Perfect conditions to sail to a new adventure. I see my parents talk at back of the ship. "Good morning. Are we leaving today?", I ask them.
"We need to talk about something with you.", mom says.
"Okay. What is it?"
"You know that we aren't the youngest anymore. All the climbing and running around has become harder and harder over the years as we've gotten older. You know that Aplbom Island has always been one of our favorite places. So yesterday we bought a house here. We want to settle down and spend the last years of our life on our own small farm.", father tells me.
"No more treasure hunting?"
"No. At least not for us. But we know that you would probably like to continue it. I know you're biggest dream always was to find the treasure of Aninliggat. If you still want to pursue this dream, we would leave the ship to you. Otherwise you could become a farmer or a fisher. The people here are always glad when someone helps them."
"You mean I would get the ship all to myself? But why the sudden decision?"
"Well it isn't so sudden. We have been thinking about it for two years."
"I don't want to give up adventuring but I also don't know where to start. And don't I need to get a crew then?"
"You can look out for crewmates in bars. Often aspiring adventurers will go there to hopefully get recruited by someone. Just keep your eyes open. If you want to find information on the treasure of Aninliggat I would recommend going to a bigger city like Kroosborg. Often people from all over Wolkmaar are at the harbor and at the bar there. You will be a great captain. I believe in you!"
We spend the day packing my parents things and bringing them to their new house. Then it is time to say goodbye.
"Take good care of yourself and the ship. Stay out of trouble and don't forget to visit us sometimes.", my mom says.
"I hope the next time that we see you, you will come back with lots of treasures and stories to tell. I know if anyone can find the treasure of Aninliggat it is you.", dad adds. "Thank you for everything. You taught me so much and always took great care of me. I love you. And I promise that I will visit you."
I hug them one last time. Then, with a heavy heart, I wave them goodbye.

And so from one day to the next my whole life changed.

Author's Note:
I hope you liked the first chapter. I will try to update weekly from now on. I am also super excited for Kingdom. I hope Ateez will do well.