Chapter Forty Four: Inside The Dungeon

Mingi POV
None of us have an idea, how we could escape. Last time Hongjoong was able to unlock the door with the needle of his brooch but we don't have anything, that you could pick a lock with this time. We sit in the cell and wait for something to happen.
A tall man in dark clothes and a grim face that is covered in scars comes in.
He has a bag with him. To our surprise it is medical equipment. He starts treating San's and Yunho's wounds.
"Why are you helping us?", Jongho asks.
"I'm not. It's going to be a public execution. They need to be able to stand on the stage and executing someone who is already half dead wouldn't be fun to watch."
Of course it isn't out of friendliness. Why would anyone in this place help us...
Since I feel very exhausted from the last few days I take a nap for a while.

Some hours later I get woken up by a lot of footsteps. The king and a lot of nobles enter. I recognize one of them as an influential noble who has visited our village before. I also spot Yeosang between them.
"Yeosang!", I shout. I see him smile at us briefly. He seems stressed out but otherwise okay.
"No way! He is a well-known doctor. Everyone keeps talking about how good he is. And he is associated with the Nekra Kingdom?!", I hear Seonghwa whisper.
"Many of these are influential people in their countries and they all work with the Nekra Kingdom?", Hongjoong whispers in disbelief.
"I feel sick. Mr. Kierik's family has been friends with ours for a long time. His son and I were in the same class and often hung out together. We have visited each other often and ate dinner together. I can't believe he works together with a murderous psychopath."
"We need to let people know then! When we get out of here we need to send letters to all of those countries and tell them about it!", San says.
"It's very expensive to write to other countries. I don't know if we can afford to write to all of these countries and maybe they won't believe us.", Hongjoong states
"My grandpa is part of the council. He might be able to convince them how serious the matter is and then they could inform the other countries.", Jongho says.
"Wait you mean the council of the Neutral Zone?! I didn't know your family is this powerful."
"Maybe Yeosang could sign it too. It might seem more believable then.", I suggest.
"Yeah, that-"
The rest of Hongjoong's sentence get drowned out by a loud scream and cheering. It sounds scary. I instinctively grab Jongho's arm and lean against him.

The screams continue for what seems like an eternity. Then it suddenly gets silent. A minute later I hear loud gasps and footsteps that come in our direction. Yeosang rushes by and throws something into our cell. He is followed by a soldier and a man in a suit. As soon as they are gone, I crawl forward to get the thing that Yeosang threw in. It is a brooch!
I try to pick it up but hurt myself because of the needle.
"Ouch!"
"Why are you always so clumsy, you idiot...", Yunho says with a weak voice. Hongjoong picks up the brooch instead.
"Oh, you're awake.", I state.
"How could I sleep when it is so noisy."
"Are you feeling better?"
Before he can answer, the screams continue, so he just nods.

Ten minutes later the screaming finally stops. People cheer and clap loudly. I hear footsteps again.
"Are you sure that you are okay, your majesty?"
"Yes, it's nothing."
The king holds a tissue against his shoulder where blood spills out of a cut. Did Yeosang do this?
"Maybe I can use this anger for our plans.", I hear the king say.
My blood boils as I see all these nobles walk by again with big smiles on their faces.
"What now?", Jongho asks Hongjoong who is looking at the brooch in his hand.
"We use this to escape. But we need to make a plan. I think we should start by assessing where the soldiers are patroling."
Jongho and I move towards the bars and look down the corridor. There are soldiers at the stairs that lead upwards. Jongho suddenly turns away.
"What's up? Is there something?"
I turn towards the direction that Jongho was looking in but before I can even see something Jongho puts his hand over my eyes.
"Trust me. You don't want to see that."
Jongho's voice is shaky. I hear something getting dragged on the ground. Corpses? Oh god! Why did have to end up here? The thought of what could happen to us makes me anxious, I grab Jongho's hand to soothe myself. The younger man hugs me and tells me that everything will be okay.
We continue to look around in the prison a few minutes later.