Chapter Nine: Snowfall

Hongjoong POV
It has been two weeks since we left Vretefokl, which means we will reach Ispaledts this week. I get dressed and pick out some jewelry from the jewelry box that the crew got me for my birthday. I was so suprised that they remembered it. Seonghwa and San even baked a cake for me and Wooyoung made steak. It was one of the best days I had in a long time.
I step outside and get a snowball in my face.
"Sorry.", Wooyoung shouts, gets more snow and runs after Yunho. I get some snow too and hunt down Yeosang.
We play in the snow for a bit until there isn't enough left.
"Now it's all gone.", San whines.
"There will be enough again in a few hours if it keeps snowing like this.", Seonghwa says.
I am unsure what I should do today.
Maybe I will read something.
I go back into the captain's cabin. Mingi follows me.
"Can I borrow a book.", he asks.
"Sure! But please be careful with it."
"Of course. Thank you!"
He looks through my bookcase and disappears with one of my books in his hands.
I walk up to the bookcase. What should I reread? Maybe I should buy me some new books in Ispaledts. But we also don't have much money right now.
Having seven crewmates is expensive...
Then my eyes fixate on a book in the corner of the bottom row. It's a children's book that tells the historical events of Wolkmaar in a easy and lighthearted way. My parents gave it to me for my fifth birthday. I remember reading in it everyday. It is where I first heard of the treasure of Aninliggat. Ever since then I wanted to find it. It is not so much that I want the power that they say you will get through finding it. I am more curious what the rulers gave up and put inside the chest.
I take the book out of the bookshelf, lay down on the bed and begin reading.

At some point I hear a knock on the door and San comes in.
"Why are you laying in bed?", he asks.
"I'm just reading."
I sit up, stretch and put the book on my legs.
"How can I help you?", I ask.
"Just bored.", he mumbles.
He climbs into the bed. I panic a bit. What is he doing? Then he wraps his arms around me and lays his head on my shoulder. Ehh... that's a bit... close.
I feel heat rush to my cheeks.
"E-ehhh.... d-do you want to r-read something too?"
"I just wanna talk."
I turn my head slightly and see a sad expression on his face.
"What is it?"
"The last island really reminded me of home and I keep worrying if my family is okay."
"I understand that. Maybe we can make a detour on our way to Wajasi and visit them."
San nods. A few tears form in his eyes. His family's situation is really something to worry about. I think I will never forget the day we picked up San. It was shocking.

10 weeks ago
After the horrible storm messed with our compass, I have now no clue where we are. We might have sailed in the completly wrong direction. Which I wouldn't doubt since I feel like it kept getting hotter the past few days. Today it probably has 40 degrees. I am wearing a sleeveless shirt but left half of the buttons open to have some ventilation while the others didn't even bother to put a shirt on. I hope we find an island soon. Maybe that will give us some orientation.
Just in that moment Mingi starts shouting: "Captain! Island to our left!"
"Can you see what it looks like?"
"At the moment I only see water."
There aren't a lot of islands that have only water or big amounts of it on them.
"I have never seen so much water. It is probably enough for a whole country to drink from."
"No. It's salt water."
"What?"
"It's salt water, you can't drink it."
"Anyway I am excited. I have never seen a sea. Are we going to land there?"
"Not if there isn't any land to land on."
We get a bit closer to the island and spot a bit of land between the water.
As we get even closer I see that there are people living on the island.
I land the ship on the beach next to an other ship. Mingi goes inside to wake up Yunho while I pack a few things and look at the map. Judging from the climate of this island we might have sailed southwards instead of eastwards. Then I spot an island with lots of water at the border of Wajasi. A village is marked on it. Kraggnsdrant.
Could we have strayed so far off course?