Chapter Thirty Two: Temple

San POV
I wake up because Mingi starts screaming in his sleep. Maen aand I fookt diis wudt bea dae fiirsd wieg waer no oan wudt haef a baet naidmaar and waig us oal ub. I sit up to see what is going on. Yunho slips into Mingi's bed and tries to wake him up.
"Wake up Mingi! It's just a dream!", he says but Mingi continues to scream.
I nudge his cheek with Shiber's nose and he stops screaming. Instead he slaps Shiber. Buur Shiber!
Mingi turns around and keeps on sleeping peacfully. We go back to bed. I hug my plush toy tightly until I fall asleep again.

The next morning after breakfast I go outside to replace Seonghwa at the wheel only to realize that the ship is parked at an island with an old temple on it. Why didn't the captain say that we are already at our destination. I go back into the kitchen where Hongjoong is munching a sandwich.
"Captain, we are already at the island of the southern temple. Didn't you notice?"
"Really?! Oh, I must have missed it. I was still half asleep when I came down here.", he answers.
The others laugh.
"How could you miss that?!", Wooyoung exclaims.
"Did you not wonder why Seonghwa was already back from duty?", I ask.
"I didn't see him when I woke up.", Hongjoong replies.
"Did he not go to sleep afterwards?", Yunho wonders.
I go into the captain's cabin. It's empty. Oh he is really not here!
I look into the bathroom but the only one I find is a naked Mingi.
Maybe in the machine room? Nothing. The storage room? Also nothing. I go back into the kitchen.
"Guys, I can't find Seonghwa. I have looked in Hongjoong's room, in the bathroom, the storage, the machine room. Nothing.", I say.
"Have you looked in the crow's nest?", Yeosang suggests.
"Why would he be up there?", Hongjoong asks.
Yeosang shrugs.
Well I haven't looked there yet. I go outside and look up. I think I see something?
I climb up the main mast and find Seonghwa curled up on the small platform. Did he stay out here all night. He has put a jacket on since it is cold at night but I am still worried that he might have gotten ill.
"Seonghwa wake up. You shouldn't sleep here."
He opens his eyes and looks around confused.
"Oh! I must have fallen asleep while stargazing."
His voice sounds a bit hoarse.
"Why did you go stargazing? It's so cold at night. You might become sick"
"You can see stars so clearly here. There aren't a lot of clouds that block the view. I just wanted to watch them for 15 minutes but I was so tired that I fell asleep."
I help him up and we go down into the kitchen where I make him a warm tea. After the tea and something to eat, he goes back to sleep in his bed until we are ready to go on the island.
I play a bit with Yunho and Yeosang while the captain goes through his notes.

One and a half hours later, we all gather on the main deck or at least that was the plan. Over the last week it has become so bright outside that even my eyes slightly hurt after some time. So when Wooyoung and Yeosang step outside their eyes immediately start to hurt a lot, even with a hat on that blocks some of the sun. We immediately blindfold them. I take Yeosang's hand and we walk towards the temple.
After ten minutes we reach the old temple door. It's a simple but big wooden door that is slightly rotten. Jongho and Yunho have to use all of their strength to open it. The temple is a lot better preserved than the other one. A lot things have cracks or are chapped and parts of the ceiling have collapsed while the other temple was almost completely buried in the sand with only a few walls being somewhat intact. After we step inside Yeosang and Wooyoung can take of their blindfolds again.
A short corridor leads to the altar room. Like the other temple the walls here are painted too. The images tell several religious stories. Windows high up on the wall paint the room in a dreamy light. We look around the room but there isn't much that is of interest, so we walk through one of the doors at the side of it. It leads into another corridor which connects the altar with the dining hall, the kitchen and a prayer room. I hear Seonghwa cough behind me and it slightly echoes in the hallway.