Chapter Eight: Into The Unknown

San POV
I wake up in Yunho's arms, his warm breath brushes against my forehead. I was to scared to go to bed alone last night so he offered me to sleep in his bed tonight. I carefully pull away from his grip and go to the bathroom.
I open the bathroom cabinet. What do I use today, rose soap or lavender soap? Questions I never thought I would ask myself. I wish I could share all these things with my family. I hope they are doing okay. I let some water into the sink and look into the mirror. I look quite different now compared to how I looked on my first day on this ship. I have gained quite some weight, my skin has gotten a bit paler even though we spend a lot of time outside but the sun here just isn't as strong especially because winter is near, my hair also looks nicer because Seonghwa who's mum apparently owns a beauty salon, cut it for me, my skin looks dewy and healthy and my eyebags have gotten a little bit less prominent. I definitely look more handsome now but I still have to get used to my new look.

After I washed, shaved and got dressed I go to the kitchen and make myself a tea. Then I get some bread and marmalade. I still can't believe that I get to live in all this luxury. Even the richer people in our village didn't have a water filtering system or a cold storage. As I am eating, Seonghwa and Yunho come into the kitchen. I still don't understand why everyone is so nice to me. They always take care of me and seem to genuinely want to get to know me even though they are from better off or even super rich families while I am from a poor and cursed family. Actually I don't know anything about Wooyoung's or Yeosang's families. They always seem to avoid that topic.

I finish my breakfast and go outside. Jongho is navigating the ship. I put my arm around him and tossle his hair.
"Good morning. Did anything happen tonight?", I ask.
"I almost stepped on Mr. Skeleton but otherwise nothing."
"Oh okay. You sound tired. Go to bed I will take over from here."
"Thank you!"
I take over the wheel and Jongho goes inside. It's very cold today and I am freezing a little. Maybe I should have put on one of my new sweaters?
Navigating is a kind of boring so I try to entertain myself by singing one of the songs that my father taught me.
I look at the clouds above us. It is kind of interesting how our world is just sandwiched between two layers of clouds with the bottom layer being much denser than top one. Is there a world under the clouds? Is there nothing under there? And what exactly lies above us? What does the moon look like up close? Are there any other worlds out there?
I always wondered about these things.
After a while someone enters the deck.
"Your singing is making me sleepy again.", Wooyoung nags.
"Good morning.", I say.
"Your clothes are so thin. Aren't you cold?"
"A little bit."
"Wait I'll bring you something warmer to wear."
He disappears inside again before I can say something against it.
Two minutes later he is back with one of my jumpers.
"Here put that over your shirt.", Wooyoung says and holds my coat while I pull the jumper over my head then I put my coat back on.
"You really didn't need to do that."
"I just don't want you to get ill.", he replies and hugs me.
Yeosang comes up onto the deck.
"Good morning.", he greets me.
He looks as beautiful as every other day. Just like the most perfect statue.
The way the wind brushes so perfectly through his hair makes him seem royal. I wish I was only half as beautiful as him.
"D-do I have something on my face or why are you staring at me like that?", he asks and giggles shyly.
"No, sorry.", I answer and look to the ground in embarrassment.
"You're just too beautiful Yeosang.", Wooyoung exclaims.
"Ahh, yes I know."
Yeosang winks at us. Why is he so cute?
"San, you didn't happen to see some chickens flying by?"
"No sorry.", I say and laugh a little bit at his weird question.
"Ah that's too bad. I would really like some chicken for lunch."
Wooyoung laughs out loud and pushes himself against me, so that I almost loose my balance.
"Yeosang, chickens can't fly that far. They actually can't really fly at all.", Wooyoung explains.
"But I thought they were birds."
"They are fat with short wings, so they just flap around and fly for maybe a meter.", Wooyoung tells.
"Oh."
How does he not know that? Even on our island we had chickens and Wooyoung obviously knows too and he is from the same island.
Then my thoughts from this morning come back into my mind.
"I know about everyone's families but yours. Why do you never talk about them?", I ask.
"They are dead.", Wooyoung states.
"Oh I'm sorry to hear that, how old where you when they died?"
Wooyoung begins shaking, I can see him hold back his tears and Yeosang stares silently to the ground.
Oh no! I shouldn't have asked that! I should probably try to cheer them up again and change the topic.
"Ehhh, do you see that cloud over there? It looked like a chicken.", I exclaim.
"Don't say that now I'm hungry again.", Yeosang says.
Wooyoung giggles but I can see a few tears roll down his face.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring back bad memories."
"It's okay."
Yeosang hugs Wooyoung tighly.
After a minute Wooyoung lets loose of Yeosang and wipes away his tears.