Chapter Five: Storm

Yunho POV
It is very chilly this morning. It seems like slowly the winter is coming. It has been a week since we left Kroosborg and it is starting to get a little bit boring on the ship again even though we sometimes halt to go onto an island. I imagined sailing to be a little more fun when Mingi and me joined the crew but it turns out that being stuck on a ship the whole day can be really tiring after some time. I really enjoy exploring new islands and visiting other countries though.

I replace Mingi at the steering wheel who immediately goes to bed. After a while it starts raining which makes it really hard to see. The ship rocks from side to side with every gust of wind. I hold on tightly to the steering wheel to not get thrown around.
A lightning bolt strucks in the distance followed by a loud thunder.
I hate navigating in thunderstorms. It is always very nerve-wracking and I get worried that we will get struck by lightning every time.

Jongho walks onto the deck with a rough wool blanket in his hands.
"The captain said I should bring you this. It should keep you at least a little bit more warm and dry.", he says.
"Thank you! How are the others?", I ask.
"Mingi is still asleep. The others are playing cards. San, Yeosang and Wooyoung are pretty startled by the shaking and lighting in front of the window."
"I can understand that. I guess they never sailed through a storm."
"I am actually surprised that you aren't scared."
"After Hongjoong, Mingi and me got lost in that huge thunderstorm for over a week these things can't scare me anymore."
"I see. I will go back inside for now. It is getting cold. Hongjoong will probably replace you in one and a half hours. Hold on tight until then."
"Okay."

I wrap myself up inside the blanket.
I remember how scared Mingi and I were when we got into our first storm a few days after we departed from home. He always had been scared of the thunder, so being stuck in a storm for 8 days straight was horrible for him. Not to mention that we accidentally sailed southwards instead of westwards and ended up near the border of Wajasi and the Nekra Kindom. Mingi would stay inside his bed and hide under the blanket for several hours on the first two days even though I tried to calm him down. But I think he got more used to it on the last two days.
Suddenly my mind is flooded by the memories of that one day in our childhood.

15 years ago
It is a beautiful sunny morning. Perfect to meet up with my best friend and look for secret treasures.
"I am going outside and play with Mingi!", I tell my mom as I leave the house. I knock on our neighbors door and Mingi's mom opens. "Hello Yunho. You probably want to play with Mingi again. Wait I will get him."

A minute later Mingi is at the door. "Let's continue our expedition on the island today.", I suggest.
"Yes. My brother has told about a cave at the edge of the island. Let's go there today.", he says.
I follow Mingi across the island. We run past the big fields where the older kids and adults are preparing for the harvest in a few weeks, over the river and through the small rocky forest until we reach the edge of the island.
"There on the left! That's where it is.", Mingi exclaims and points in the direction.

There is a narrow path leading downwards to a cave at the side of the island. As we walk towards it Mingi suddenly stops. "Is everything okay?", I ask.
"We are so close to the edge. What if we misstep and fall?", he says.
"We just need to stay close to the cliff and don't look down."
"But I am scared."
"You don't need to be. I will make sure that you don't fall."
I take his hand and we walk down the path, trying our best to stay away from the edge as far as possible.
We enter the cave which is really dark. The only light source we have is a candle that Mingi brought from home. It is a bit unsettling but I am also excited to see what lies at the end of the cave. We keep very close together to not get lost in the darkness.
"It's really scary in here. Maybe we should turn around.", Mingi says.
"It's just a cave. What should happen to us here?"