Chapter Six: The Clairvoyant

Jongho POV
We should reach Vretefokl in a few hours. Since Hongjoong is currently busy with navigating the ship, this is the perfect time for us to gather and plan his birthday. I motion Seonghwa who is scrubbing the deck to come with me. We find Wooyoung and Yeosang bickering in the kitchen and then go to the bedroom where we find Mingi and Yunho.
"Where is San? I wanted to talk about Hongjoong's birthday with you.", I ask.
"He is getting ready for bed since he wanted to get some sleep before we reach Vretefokl.", Yunho replies.
"Then we will wait for him here."
I sit down on my bed. Seonghwa sits down next to me.
"I am glad that the weather seems to get better. If it kept on raining we would have had a problem in a few days when there is a chance that we will have freezing temperatures at night.", the oldest crewmate says.
"It would have been like my childhood when Mingi and me were sliding around on the frozen river.", Yunho tells and giggles.
"Actually, I have always wondered if it's very cold in the Nekra Kingdom since the sun is barely shining through the clouds.", I say.
"Since it's further to south the air is still a bit warmer. The temperature is about the same as it was the last few days. In the night it sometimes has freezing temperatures but it's not super super cold.", Wooyoung explains.
"What about seasons? Do they affect the weather?", Mingi asks.
"No, there aren't any seasons, it's pretty much the same everyday.", Yeosang answers.

Then San comes in.
"Oh, why is everyone here?", he asks.
"We wanted to talk about Hongjoong's birthday.", I respond.
"But I wanted to sleep.", San whines and pouts cutely.
"It won't take long."
"Okay."
San lays down in his bed and looks at us expectant.
"So, we need to agree on a present today and it would be good to at least have an idea what we want to cook for him on his birthday, so we can buy the ingredients today.", I say.
"Me and Yeosang talked about it a few days ago and we thought about maybe something that he can use for decorating his clothes because he is really into embroidery, putting beads on things and dyeing his clothes.", Yunho suggest.
"I think he has still enough of that stuff. He bought new threads and dyes not to long ago.", Wooyoung remarks.
"What if we simply buy him some new clothes or jewelry? The winter is coming, we could buy him a new winter coat.", Mingi proposes.
"I don't think there is any space in our closet for new clothes. But what he could need is a jewelry box. His current one is completely full. Everytime he opens it there is stuff falling out of it and some of his jewelry is just lying around everywhere in our room because it didn't have space in there.", Seonghwa says.
"That sounds like a good idea.", I utter.
The others agree.
"What about a cake for his birthday?", San asks.
"If you want to bake one you can, I won't. I have enough to do with cooking dinner.", Wooyoung replies.
"I don't know how to bake a cake.", San says.
"I can help you. But won't the eggs get expire until the 7th if we buy them today?", Seonghwa adds.
"No, eggs can be stored up to 28 days after they have been laid.", Mingi explains.
"How about I cook steak for his birthday dinner?", Wooyoung suggest.
"Yes, I would love to eat steak.", I say.
"Is everyone okay with cake and steak then?", Yunho asks.
Everybody nods.
"Okay, then we just need to figure out how we can buy everything without Hongjoong noticing."
"I don't think that buying the ingredients will be a problem since Wooyoung and Seonghwa usually plan our dinners and buy the stuff that they need according to that. I guess for the jewelry box we have to find an excuse to look at around the marketplace.", I state.
"Me and Mingi could act like we are super bored and annoy Hongjoong that we want to look around the marketplace and then you suggest that you could show us the marketplace since you have already been there and know it pretty well, so he and the others can buy everything in peace.", San proposes.
"That's a bit mean but I guess that will do.", I say.