6

El-
I can hear the clock ticking away the seconds.

Testing us. Only a few more days of school left, in fact this is the last one until Christmas break.
Suddenly a deep, husky voice breaks me out of my thoughts.

"Ella Hood, what are your plans this year?"

Turning to look up it's jock of the year, Clayton King.

"For the rest of it? Stay home, sleep, and not come back here." All said with a slight shrug of the shoulders that manages to slide my hair away from my face.

"Well I was wondering if you, maybe wanted to hang out. Go somewhere?" He was being sincere. I never looked at him as a romantic option and I don't think I ever could again.

I look back at him only to find myself looking over his shoulder to Ryder, who's looking at me patiently waiting for my response.

"That's a very nice offer Clayton but my Dad is only home for a couple weeks and I wanna spend as much time with him as I can. Maybe another time?"

The expression on his face hurt me more than I expected. It fell as he mumbled an 'ok we will try again in the new year.'

The bell finally rang, I can go home and not worry about this goddamn place anymore. It's the seniorits in me I swear.

"You need a ride?" Mia was basically wheezing her words out, running was never her strong suit.

"No I'm good, thank you though." Her face was flushed and honestly looked relieved, I think she needed her inhaler.

"You going home?" It was a genuine question because Mia goes anywhere but home normally.

"Of course I am, my dads home, I wanna see hang out with him."

She gave me a slight hug before exiting the school yelling a 'call me later, yea?'

Caleb hadn't been at school today because smart kids got to skip finals. That and he never shows up on the last day of school, Uncle Ash made it their traditional semester exit.

The issue at hand was I did need a ride. My dad had to go get something from my grandparents on my moms side. They lived down in the inland area so he took a day trip.

"You gonna walk home again?"

It's been a few days since the movie night. The uncle had finally had enough and decided to actually take their vacation apart until Christmas day, so everyone saw a little less of everyone.

"Yea. My dads at my grandparents house." I turned to either side but he wasn't there. A hand snaked it's way around my shoulders, scaring the daylight out of me.

"Come on, Ill take you home." I am now looking at Ryder, who has puppy dog eyes and looking better than he did that night.

He unhooked his arm and I followed behind. Unlocking the car doors, opening mine and then trotting to the drivers side.

We are now the only car left in the school parking lot. He hasn't put the key in the ignition and is just staring at the steering wheel.

"I'm sorry."

"Come again?" I wasn't going this to be a bitch but i needed to make sure I was hearing things.

"I'm sorry." Turning to face me, tears basically forming in his eyes.

He had tried to text me after the whole night incident but I didn't answer, mainly because I had nothing to say.

I was still trying to figure out what the hell my Dad was talking about. Why all of a sudden my father knew he needed me and didn't want to snap his neck.

"Hey, it's ok." My tone was so soft and low. I turned my body towards him to see a single tear drop down his face.

"Don't cry. It's ok. Hey, look at me" His face had fallen but his attention is now placed back on me, put eyes not loosing contact.

Slowly reaching my hand out to his cheek, wiping away the remnants of the tear.

Both of my hands no are cupping his face, making sure his eyes stay with mine.

"What's going on?" I attempted to remove both my hands but his hands now covered my own, still cupping either side of his face.

"They think we are so strong, but they don't know jackshit."

I knew what he was talking about, me and my dad had this argument the first day he got back.

Now I semi understood his need to be present in my life again. Not just in holidays or when he needed something.

Ryder got like this when we were little.

When our dads left to tour, we often times all choose one house to stay at it. One mom and four kids.
But we could never go to my house or Ryders unless Aunt Crystal or KayKay came with us. We didn't have a mom to watch the four of us there.

He would throw tantrums and be overly mean, but just to me.

He knew I could take it, he knew I understood.

"They know we are stronger than we allow ourselves to think." I was scared to say anything but I was 99% sure he wasn't going to fall apart on me.

"They do. But I don't think I do." He broke eye contact and removed both my hands from his face.
Placing them in his lap, his own hands wrapped around them.

He didn't want to talk about it anymore. He hated talking about shit like this. Dying, touring, music, even school he loved talking about. But his mom and dad leaving to play music, rarely. Only with me.

"Why the purple nails?" I asked in hopes of changing the subject, in hopes of him not having a complete mental breakdown. Which again he would hate himself more if he had one.

"Because someone reminded me about how it felt to be 11." His smile came through in seconds. "How do you know me so well?"

"Why Ryder Hemmings, I may or may not have been your best friend since birth. You kinda get to know someone that way."

I was giggling now, thanking god I fixed the subject, that he wasn't going to punch a wall when he gets home or get into it with his dad. 
He started the ignition, with a big smile spread across his face, placing one hand on the wheel and the other resting cautiously on my thigh.

—-
"No Ryder! You know that wasn't true!"

I could barely speak with a straight face, we were laughing so hard.

I don't live far from school but if you take th right route you can take at least 30-45 minute to get home.

"Oh I know damn well how it played out!" Laughing back in response.

He slowly pulled into the driveway , shutting off the engine, turning to face me.

"Thank you."

"Always." I reached for the handle when my hand was pulled back towards him.

"You wanna come in." I meant it as a friend way, don't worry.

"Yea, I would love to." He rushed out basically sprinting to my door to let me out.

I started getting my keys out, walking towards my front door.

Ryder was trailing dangerously close behind me. The idea in his head was probably not much different than the one in mine.

I fumbled with my keys, he was cracking jokes. God I missed him. I missed the less confusing version of him.

I get my door open and he is now playing jokes, asking questions. Literally not shutting up, which I don't mind. I don't get to hear his voice much.

"Oh goodness Ella!"

I know that voice.

"Come here give Grandma some sugar!"

I turn to the left and my dad is standing there like he just saw a ghost.