42

this is hands down one of my favorite chapters, enjoy ;)

Ella-

"Don't look at me like that."

I was currently sitting across from Mia, who was leaned up against my black marble counter tops trying to make a sandwich.

"I can look at you how ever I want." She poked, the butter knife coming up in the air to wag in my direction.

It was around 2 now, we've been laying around in my living room or kitchen since Mia had dragged me out of 6th period, the bell barely ringing before we reached her car. She had left Caleb behind, the look on his face pure shock, not really knowing what happened as he watched us leave the room.

I thought something was deadly wrong but when we got in the car she started laughing and drove to my house no even saying anything. No I'm wrong, all she said was 'Is Mali home?' and when I answered no, she turned down my street and whipped into my driveway. Basically running out of the car as the car was running itself.

I hadn't text my dad though. I was home and he told me to text him when I was home and I haven't done that. The guilt was eating away at me for the past few hours, nothing really calming my nerves and my attention was never really being on what Mia was talking to me about. I was being a shitty best friend but at least I wasn't acting like nothing was wrong.

"Ella." Mia's voiced snapped causing my head to spin  around as I tried to focus my eyes back on her own.

"What?" I questioned, not really wanting to deal with anything else right this second. I was already feeling guilty because I hadn't texted my father, I wasn't listening to Mia, and I was feeling a bit queasy.

"Jesus what's with the tone?" She questioned, not trying to sound as offended as she did, her mouth quickly falling shut as soon as the words left her mouth.

"I'm sorry." I muttered, my eyes falling back down to the black marble that my tanned skin was currently leaning on. "What were you saying?"

"I was just wondering if you were actually considering going to dinner with Clay?" She lied through her teeth, changing the topic either to irritate me more or because the old topic would have.

"Maybe." I shrugged. "He's a friend, he said as friends. We both know he won't do anything."

She rolled her eyes, narrowing them after like she was trying to pry valuable information from my brain when in reality that was the truth and that was the end of the discussion.

"He tried to do something in class." She spoke, twisting her body around so her back was facing me.

"According to Ryder." I spoke warningly, knowing Mia heard the story from him first during their third period math class.

"Why don't your stories match then?" She stated with her back still facing me and her hand waving the nice around trying to make a point.

"They do." I replied, not really caring about it anymore. All I could think about is I should be on the phone with my father right now.

"Doesn't seem like it." She snorted as her body spun back around to face me.

My attention was caught by her statement. My eyes shot up looking at her with warning eyes, not sure what exactly to do next. Though the fact that she was believing Ryder's story over mine seemed absurd. She has trust issues as it is but with Ryder, after freshman year she thought every word that came out of his mouth was a threat or lie. So why now was she trusting every word he was saying?