C H A P T E R 2 3

The room was uncomfortably quiet. No one had said anything to Tsunade, but from the way she postured in her chair she wasn't too happy with having this many people in her office without any prior warning.

The sun had begun to go down by the time we had made it back, and by the time we reached her office, it was nightfall. I stood in the middle of the room, my hands clutched together in front of me. The light above me made it like I was on show for everyone.

Kakashi stood directly behind me in front of the door, Naruto and Sakura stood off to my right. The rest had been sent home after returning. Despite my wanting to reveal the true reasons, I wasn't too keen on sharing it with everyone just yet...

"What is the meaning of this Shiori? You have been MIA for days". Her voice made me flinch, my eyes trained to my feet. I couldn't bear to look at her when I told her I was knowingly harboring a fugitive.

"Shiori?". Her voice rose again.

My eyes clenched shut, my hands balling into fists. "I have Itachi Uchiha in custody".

She practically leaped from her desk. Her chair rolling back with so much force that it hit the wall behind her with a crash. "You have him! Where!? You need to hand him over to ANBU custody immediately!" She spoke with so much force and veracity that I was starting to regret everything.

'This is for Itachi!"

"No. I am not going to hand him over". I responded my eyes finally moving from the ground to meet hers.

"What do you mean you won't hand him over! Do you know what that means!" Her voice boomed, and my heart hammered. Fighting an entire army was easier than telling her no. I could feel everyone tense at the situation, but I was going to hold my ground against her.

"He doesn't deserve this..." I murmured.

Her eyes centered on me. Her gaze holding an intense glare, her hands were still slammed against either side of the desk, her body hunched over.

"He is a rogue ninja who murdered your entire clan and a member of a criminal organization bent on destroying our village and probably the world and you are telling me that he doesn't deserve this!!" I could hear the words grind between her teeth. She was on the brink of causing a calamity.

"He didn't slaughter our clan on a whim. The massacre was sanctioned". The words slipped out. Our eyes locked, and immediately her expression changed. Her brows knitted together, a look of anger and confusion consuming her. No one dared interject into the conversation.

"What do you mean sanctioned? Who sanctioned it?" She questioned straightening up.

"The village elders and the 3rd".

"Do you know what you are saying!? How could you even know a thing like that?"

" I know because-- I know because I took part in it". My body was tense.

"You what?" Everyone's voices choired in unison.

"I helped massacre my clan. The only reason why I wasn't banished and designated a traitor and a rogue was because of Itachi. He begged for my reprieve". I trailed off not knowing to continue.

The intensity of the room didn't wane, it only seemed to highten.

"Why would the council and the 3rd sanction a massacre, and of the Uchiha clan no less". Kakashi finally interrupting, his voice sounding unsure.

"Have you forgotten... You were in ANBU at the time, right?" I asked turning slightly catching a glimpse of him over my shoulder.

"But it was surveillance, they never mentioned anything about a massacre". His voice was astonished, he had finally realized the true essence behind a mission he had so diligently carried out.

"They were keeping an eye on the Uchiha compound just in case of another attack". I continued.

"An attack?" Naruto questioned.

"It was suspected that the clan was behind the attack on the village 16 years ago ".

"16--, but that's when--". His hand moved to his stomach softly caressing where the seal was embossed on his skin beneath his jacket.

"The history between the Uchiha and the village is filled with distrust and angst. And when the village formed they had set aside their differences to achieve an era of peace. But as the years went by the sentiment in the clan reverted to hatred and animosity".

"But there was never any sign of this over the last century". Tsunade challenged her voice boomed.

"You are aware that your grandfather and Madara are the ones who established the village". I responded.

She nodded.

"When it came time to choosing the leader the clan wanted Madara to be the Hokage. But ultimately it was your grandfather who took the title".

"But how does something that happened almost a century ago have to do with the massacre". Sakura spoke with contention.

Irritation filled my chest but I had to be calm. I need them to understand that this hatred went far beyond anything they could have imagined.

I sighed, "When the 3rd Hokage was choosing his successor the Uchiha believe that the title should have been handed to Fugaku, Sasuke and Itachi's father. And obviously, it wasn't. And after the attack on the village, the Uchiha were pushed to the outskirts of the village. The push to the corner of the village was just another blow to the clan. They felt persecuted".

"But what does that have to do with the massacre?" Tsunade demanded.

"Because of the persecution, they were willing to start a civil war. They were going to take control and they were going to do it by any means. Danzo saw an opportunity to get rid of the Uchiha, clan and he did it through Itachi. He forced him to become a double spy, and eventually forced him to choose between loyalty to the village and peace, or to his clan". My throat felt dry, a lump forcing its way into my voice. My breathing hitched, but I had to continue.

"Itachi never wanted to kill anyone, he wanted to resolve this without bloodshed and we tried, but in the end, it all failed. He was just a child... They burdened him with the weight of the world and he took it without so much as a second thought. He saved the village, he saved Sasuke, and he saved me. I owe him my life". The words came out in gulps, all the guilt I had from all these years weighed on me.

"He accepted the title of traitor and killer because he knew it meant peace for others, he accepted hate from the brother he loved, and he was willing to die for him..." My voice trailed. My eyes moved back to Tsunade, She was engulfed in deep thought.

"He is a true ninja, sacrificing his life for the good of his village. He accepted hate in the place of honor and hate in the place of love. To me he is a hero".

"You said Danzo was behind this?" She was calm, but I could see the fire behind her eyes.

My eyes darted away, my head shaking in response.

"Does anyone else know about this?"

"The other members of the leaf council".

"Why would you go this far for him Shiori?"

"He's the man I love. I chose to stand by him no matter what anyone else thought of him. I know the real him". I responded shifting my gaze back to her.

"Where is he?"

"With Katsuyu... He is in critical condition".

She paused for a moment, her teeth digging into her bottom lip. "As of now, Itachi Uchiha's status as a rouge traitor is in question. As for the rest of you mention this to no one, if all of this is true Itachi's presence in the village threatens an idea of a false reality we have been fed. Shiori, go to him... I'll handle the rest".

My knees buckled, a load was lifted off my chest. "Thank you". Without a second look, I turned and shot out the door, down the hall, and out the main entrance.

"I am coming".