C H A P T E R 3 4

"You think he would have approved of everything we have done?"

"Our methods were different... But I'd like to think he would..."

"I miss him..."

"Me too".

We stood side by side at the edge of the cliff where Shisui died. Vivid memories of that day came rushing back. The blood that dripped from his eyes that stained his cheeks and hands, the smile of content on his face as he let himself fall, and the promise he had asked us to keep. Standing at the place where we lost so much... I felt... unimaginable despair. A soft breeze willowed between us. A warm familiar feeling rushed over me. He was here still watching over us. I could feel the ghosting of his fingers around my hand softly grasping me, and I knew he felt it too.

For some reason, I couldn't bring myself to look at him.

"It's another war..."

"It looks like it".

"What's the village's next move?" He asked, the sound of his voice sounding much closer than before. I knew he was looking at me, but I still couldn't bring myself to turn and face him.

"All the villages have formed an alliance, and they're planning on taking this battle straight to Madara... the masked man... or whoever is behind all of this".

"You were right about the man in the mask... It is Kakashi's old teammate".

"I already told them. Regardless of whether or not we know who it is, we still don't know what's going to happen... Or what we are up against... We are walking into this blind no matter how much we tried to find out".

"We did the best we could Shiori".

Silence clung to the air around us.

Silence between us wasn't something new, and it never felt awkward, but something was different. Something about this silence was strange. Was it the looming feeling of war that made this reunion strange? Or was it that we stood over Shiui's watery grave? I couldn't tell.

Suddenly his hand retreated from mine, and the shuffling of his feet against the grass softly echoed away. I swung around instantly. The image of him walking away from me without so much as a goodbye triggered a sentiment of helplessness I haven't felt in years. The scene at Naka Shrine replayed in my head. My arm shot out, fingers franticly reaching to latch onto his cloak. My fingers curled around the soft fabric clenching so forcefully that my hand trembled. My heart twinged in pain and sadness.

His head cocked over his shoulder, a startled look on his face, "Is something wrong?" He asked concerned at my peculiar outburst.

"I.... I am... It's just hard watching you walk away". I whispered.

A regretful smile wove across his face. In the blink of an eye, I was wrapped in his arms. Body flush against him with his hands sprawled against my back.

He sighed softly, pulling me tighter against him. "I am not walking away... I'll never walk away from you... That night was the only time I'd ever turn my back to you." His hands stroked down the length of my back twisting gently in my hair as his hands rested at my waist.

His words of affirmation were enough to quell any trace of angst that festered.

"Look at me". He whispered.

I perked up, our eyes meeting for the first time since we've arrived.

His lips met mine in a soft passionate kiss. I was instantly lunged to cloud nine. A feeling of giddiness overtaking every somber emotion in my body. But just as quickly as it came, his lips retreated.

"We're in this fight together, we just have different roles to play. But no matter how far we are from one another know that I will always be with you". He smiled pressing his forehead to mine.

I nodded, grinning in return.

Silence settled over us once again. But this time felt more normal for us.

"The next time we meet it will be on the battlefield." He muttered.

My arms snaked up his body and around his neck pulling him into a deep hug, my head moving to nestle in the crook of his neck. The smell of him pleasantly invading my senses, washing over me with gentle fervor.

"Make sure you come back to me... You and Sasuke..."

He nodded tightening his grip. "I wouldn't have it any other way".

'Just one more time, one more time we have to be apart.'