C H A P T E R 2 1

"What's troubling you?"

He was lost in thought, his eyes fixated on the endless sky above. It was a pretty gloomy day for spring, the sky overcast with a dark gray shadow, the sun just barely peeking through parted clouds. 

"Itachi?"

No response.

"Itachi?" I sighed peering into his face, poking his nose. His head absently moved in my direction, his face expressionless, his eyes deep and hollow.

"Talk to me". My hand cupped his face bringing him closer. My arms wrapped around his neck pulling him in, our forehead pressing against each other.

"It's time".

A cosmos of emotions hidden behind a few choice words. I could feel my heart drop to my feet, a lump formed in the back of my throat threatening to erupt into tears. 

I knew what he meant, but I needed him to say it... I needed to hear him to say it.

"Time for what?" I repeated in frustration. 

"To see Sasuke".

My head dropped in devastation.

"No"...

A confused sound fell from his lips.

"I won't let you !" I could feel my voice rise with every word that seathed from my lips. 

"I need to do this". His hands came up gripping my shoulders, his voice just above a whisper. The sudden urge to punch him overtook me. I wanted to knock some sense into him, I wanted to make him see that this wasn't the way.

I pride myself from his grip, my shoulders hunching over from the staggering amount of emotions that welled up inside. "What do you think it's going to accomplish!?"

"The only way Sasuke will go back is if he believes he has had his revenge"

"Don't be foolish! Sasuke needs you and he needs you alive!"

"He needs to believe that he avenged the clan"

"Then he has to kill me to. Do I deserve death too!?"

"No! Tha-"

"What's stopping him from finding out the truth about that night after you die! Madara is still alive don't you think he will tell him!"

"He won't"

"Itachi you're not naïve, once he finds out it's only going to add to his rage.... add to his hatred. The truth has to come from us!"

Silence

I watched for a reaction, but nothing. He stood static, almost unwilling to respond to me, unwilling to make eye contact with me. A panic washed over me, my hands were trembling, my knees buckled. This man was going to be the death of me, 'change your mind!' 

"I've already spent a life without you Itachi. I only survived because I knew you were alive.... If I lose you I won't have anything". The ballooning lump in my throat was making it difficult to speak. 

His hand came up slipping beneath my chin bringing me to face him. A soft sob hiccupped from the back of my throat. "Please don't do this....".

"I have to. Sasuke leaving is on me, he is my responsibility".

"Itachi please... If you love me don't do this!"

His arms wrapped around my waist pulling me to him, holding me tightly.

His finger ran against the length of my jaw pulling me closer. His hand cupping my face, a thumb ghosting over my lip. My eyes flickered to his, the man who spoke little about his emotions couldn't hide them in his eyes. Those deep black pools held intense emotions that made me shudder in intimidation. 

His forehead pressed against mine, lips hovering mere centimeters away.

My heart lit with excitement. The sudden touch of his lips against mine electrified me. The love, the fear, the yearning for a future somehow lost, the emptiness and loneliness he felt, and all the self doubt was poured into the kiss. I was lost. Instinctively my lips pressed back, my mouth moving softly against his. The kiss was feathering and intoxicating. The man of little words said all he needed to say through that kiss.

But just as quickly as the kiss came the warm feeling disappeared, pulling with it a gasp from my lips. His eyes locked onto mine.

"Remember when we were younger and you asked me what I saw in my future? "

I nodded remembering that summer night on the dock all those years ago.

"You are what I saw in my future. Marrying you, having a family with you, growing old with you. That was the future I wanted.... but couldn't have". His voice trailed off, his eyes imbued with so much pain.

"I love you more than anything Shiori".

My heart ached agonizingly for this man.

'If I lost him.... I'd lose myself'.

A sad smile pulled at his lips.

This was a goodbye.

That's when I saw it. His eyes turned red, the tome of the sharingan transforming into the mangekyo sharingan. My guard was down, thus delaying my reaction. The light around me vanished and I was thrown into a genjutsu

My body shot straight up.

'I'll never get any peace will I?' 

"That jerk! Putting me under a genjutsu like that!"

It took me a little more than I would like to admit to break it, but the genjutsu did show me one thing... It showed me an illusion that I was going to make a reality, the life I've always wanted and dreamed about.

I jumped to my feet dusting myself of the dirt and grass that clung to me. I took a deep breath and began to run. 'I have to get to them in time!'