C H A P T E R 5 1

"Shiori!"

"Huh?" I blinked against the brightness of the paper that suddenly cleared against my blurred vision. 'Yearly Fiscal Budget.' There was a split second where I forgot myself.

'Where was I?'

My eyes blinked again, moving from the paper to the top of the desk, finally landing on the person who had called my name. Former Hokage, Tsunade.

"Something seems to be distracting you. I have never seen you this out of it, especially during your duties." Her tone was harsh. Her eyes slitting as she looked me over once, twice, three times. Her lips pulled into a thin line as if she was trying to debate whether or not she wanted to say what was on her mind.

"The last time I saw you look like this was when you told us about the massacre. What is going on with you?" Her voice dropped, her eyes softening ever so slightly.

"I think something bad is going to happen." My words were barely above a whisper. I couldn't bear to look at her, saying something like that in times of peace would have warranted a laugh in the face. All the major nations were playing nice, and there wasn't any reason to believe that war would break out, especially after the devastation of the last one. And the show of Naruto's power was enough to keep everyone playing nice, for the time being at least.

But things would change if the Kensho really did exist.

I could hear laughter bubble in her chest. "That's really funny, Shiori! War!? After what the world went through - there's no way anything like that could happen - ever again." Her voice drifted from enthusiastic to sobering in a matter of seconds.

"What do you know that we don't Shiori?"

"Nothing concrete... But I think something is going on with Tsuna."

In an instant, I was facing Tsunade, her hands latching into a vice grip on my shoulder, locking me in a half-standing half-sitting position that was starting to put painful pressure on my knees "What do you mean something is wrong with Tsuna..." Her words grated against my nerves. Her tone was accusatory as if I would have something to do with hurting my own child.

In the end it was my fault. I am the reason why she could be --.

I tilted back, my head lulling to the side as I thought of a way to explain the situation... This absolutely ridiculous situation that could potentially be true - detrimental.

"There was this stupid story that my grandmother used to tell me about a being that could bring a person's destiny into reality. I thought for the longest time that she was telling me an Uchiha fairy tale... A children's story... I didn't think it was true." My voice faded. I still couldn't face her. "...I think it's true... And I just know I am not the only one who knows this story, I'd be stupid enough to believe that. Something is coming."

"I trust your intuition... More than I trust my own... But why do you think something is wrong with Tsuna?"

"This being... was someone who had untold powers of permission and foresight. The power of Izanami and Izanagi at the palm of their hand. Tsuna has been exhibiting those powers... She's known things that both Itachi and I never breathed about. She sees things..." I was having trouble formulating complete sentences. I was just spouting broken bits of information that I myself didn't have a full grasp of. "I am the reason... I am the reason why Tsuna could be this being... Why war could break out again." My body was trembling.

"What do you mean you are the reason?" Her face was twisted with confusion.

"Because I am her mother! It is my bloodline responsible for this!" The words tore from my chest with a screech.

The outburst surprised Tsunade... It surprised even me... "She was my salvation... I thought I was finally doing some good in this world after all the tragedy I caused. I thought I could finally allow myself to be happy." Tears broke from my eyes, racing down my face in fat drops.

Tsunade yanked me into her arms, locking me in a bear hug.

She had never held me before, never coddled me. But right here, right now, she held onto me for dear life.

"I never had children... You and Shizune were the closest things I had to daughters. Tsuna is my granddaughter. I know you are scared, but everything is going to be okay. She is safest in the village, with you, Itachi, me, and everyone else. No one, no matter what you think, can get a hold of her."

Her words were genuine. Sympathetic. Touching even. But it did nothing to ease the growing tightness in my chest and the pounding behind my eyes.

"Tsunade... Something is going to happen, I know it..."

"If anyone has the power of premonition, it is you... But... I agree. Knowing what we know now, we can't idly sit by and wait for something to happen. We have to be proactive. What do you need?"

"I need more information."

"Then go. You do whatever you need to protect Tsuna and this village. I'll take care of your duties here." Her fingers pried deeper into my skin as she pulled me away from her embrace. Her golden eyes stared deep into my soul, capturing me in an intense stare.

"Thank you... For always believing me."

"If I was a betting woman -" She smirked, "And I am. I'll always bet on you."

"So this is a game." I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"Nothing is a game with you. I know you." She responded, her mouth pulling back into a tight line, the smile disappearing from her face.

I turned from her grasp, moving towards the window. Looking down onto the road, I saw something that warmed every inch of my being.

Itachi was standing outside, on the hospital steps with Tsuna in his arms. They were laughing, no doubt at something Tsuna had done. His smile, her smile... Every moment of those bright, beautiful smiles was etched into the crevices of my soul.

And I was going to destroy anything that would take those smiles away. I will destroy anything that hurts the happiness of my family and my village.

Itachi's eyes zeroed in on me. He didn't have to search for me. We never had to search for one another. We always knew.

His smile deepened. He waived, turning Tsuna so her eyes found me. Her smile was extravagant as she beckoned me to her. I signed to her '1 minute.'

I turned back to Tsunade.

Her arms were crossed over her chest, a mischievous smirk pulling at her lips. "You look determined. Looks like you know where to start?"

I found myself grinning. "I do."

The land of the ancestors.