C H A P T E R 4

"I haven't seen you in a while Shiori."

"I know it has been a while since I've stopped by, I am sorry." I smiled at the old woman who stood in front of the tea shop.

"Out saving lives as always. You need to rest more Shiori, a beautiful girl like you needs her beauty sleep." She chuckled huskily.

Her hand reached for mine clutching them in her own. "Order whatever you want child it's on the house." Her smile was infectious, her voice was so soothing. A happy memory pulled at the back of my mind, she reminded me somehow of my grandmother. Maybe it was the way she shuffled along with the soft pitter-patter of her cane. Maybe it was the rasp of her voice that could conjure up stories of heroes and villains and the sagas that guided their journies. Or maybe it was the crinkle of her eyes as she smiled so lovingly at me. 

"Thank you." I smiled sheepishly, tucking myself into a corner of the bench at the front of the tea shop kicking my feet out in front of me. 

It felt nice to kick back. My head tilted back, the sun bathed the exposed skin on my shoulders easing some of the tension that always seems to be knotted at the back of my neck.

Suddenly a shock raced through my body. Every never stands straight at attention. I shot up, my eyes darting up and down the street scanning the nearby shops.

'Itachi?'

I couldn't see him, but I could sense him with every fiber of my being.

'Was I finally losing it?' I shut my eyes and tried hard to hone in on his chakra.

"Here's your tea ma'am."

My head moved to the young woman who handed me a small steaming cup. I reached up and carefully took the cup from her, "Thank you." I replied absently, still trying to find the chakra that swallowed my entire being.

Carefully I brought my lips to the boiling cup, taking a tentative sip. My eyes slipped shut and I tried desperately to focus on finding his chakra.

'Stop hiding from me.'

"Long time no see Shiori."

I could tell exactly who it was just from the sounds of his voice.

"Nice to see you too Kakashi," I whispered.

My eyes slid open. My gaze scanned up his legs, up his torso, only to make contact with his half-covered face. Our eyes made contact and I could see him shift uncomfortably under my gaze, a soft blush fanning over the visible part of his face.

"Uhh. I heard you started managing the hospital." His hand reached around his head, scratching the back of his neck trying not to sound as shy as he looked. I smiled, bringing my hands down to my lap. I clutched the hot cup. "I guess you could say that. I'd rather be out in the field, but it's what I have to do until the new Hokage selects someone to manage it."

"They are thinking of making one of the two remaining sannin Hokage."

A soft chuckle escaped my lips, "That's going to be difficult. Is the council trying to force Jiraiya into accepting the position? In any case, he is too much of a goof to take the job seriously, nor does he want that kind of responsibility. And no one has seen or heard from Tsunade in the last what? 20-something years?....... The council should just nominate themselves..." The last part was a resentful pitch, but I couldn't help it.

Heaven knows Danzo would jump at that opportunity.

"You may be right about Jiraiya. But somehow you found Tsuande, and not only that but you convinced her to train you not that long ago." Kakashi rubbed his head in an effort to evade the last part of my statement.

My eyes moved from their transfixed placement on the teacup back up to Kakashi. "True, but that was no easy feat. And getting Tsunade to agree to come back isn't going to be a walk in the park either."

"You're pro--. Hey guys... You two seem to be getting along."

Following Kakashi's line of sight I found an unlikely but likely couple, Asuma and Kurenai.

"Out on a date perhaps?" I teased, taking another sip of tea.

Kurenai's face erupted in a deep blush, "No, you idiots."

I smiled and stood from my seat gently placing the tea down on the bench, "Thank you for the tea!" I yelled absently into the tea shop. 

"Any time Shiori!" 

Just then... I felt it again. I knew that I wasn't hallucinating. Itachi was here in the village, here in this tea shop.

I missed the chatter between Kakashi and the others as I struggled to find him.

'Could he feel me in the air the same way I felt his presence?' 

" ...Plus I am meeting someone here". I could hear Kakashi's words, but nothing was registering - it didn't matter, I had finally found the source of the chakra. 

Two men in black cloaks sat in the shop. 

Fixing my gaze on the two men my heart stuttered. 'It has to be, no one else has chakra like this.' The two sat hunched over, with tea cups in hand and straw hats that conveniently shielded their faces. 'Am I the only one who has noticed them?' My eyes flickered to Kakashi and back to the two men. 'He looks on guard. He's made the two. But does he know who it is?'

"Kakashi, it's not like you to show up early what gives." The sound of Sasuke's voice startled me.

Sasuke peered around Kakashi to look me up and down. "Shiori why are you hear?" Sasuke questioned again. 

The question didn't fully register, but somehow a response managed to work its way from my lips, "Lunch."

Then everything finally fell into place. 'The Hokage... He's here to make sure Sasuke is still safe.' 

My eyes shifted back to where the two men sat, but they were long gone.

'Just like him to disappear without a trace.'