C H A P T E R 1 9

The rain pounded against the earth, the cold air combined with the pounding rain chilled me down to the bone. The rhythmic drumming sounded heavenly despite the danger of being here.

Something felt odd about the rain though. It didn't feel natural.

"Have you ever been here before?" The toad sage spoke from the inside of my coat.

"There never seemed to be an occasion".

"Just be careful. This place is under constant and vigilant surveillance".

I nodded. We were about 10 km outside of the city. 'Better to camouflage now than in the middle of a crowd'. With a deep slow breath I cut off my chakra flow. This way even if they had a sensory type ninja in their midst they wouldn't be able to snuff me out.

"You seem well versed in infiltration. If I wasn't strapped to you I wouldn't have been able to tell anyone was here".

"It's my specialty, a lot of my missions are infiltration and assassinations". I chuckled looking down at the small toad nestled between my chest and the jacket.

"Were you in ANBU?"

The question caught me by surprise but I didn't have any intention of answering.

"Where is Jiraiya's body?"

"Just south of that tall building at the center of the city. I should also mention that his body fell into some sort of water channel, so it won't be easy to retrieve the body".

My eyes scanned the city skyline. There were many tall buildings that dotted the landscape but there was one that stood just a little bit taller than the rest.

"Listen..."

"Hmmm?" His little head turned up to me.

"If we get caught up in a fight I want you to leave".

After a minute of silence he nodded and tucked his head back into the jacket.

'Body flicker'.

In an instant we were in the middle of a dark alleyway. I had tried to get as close as possible to the tall building, but it was a little difficult to do while trying to supress all my chakra. Traveling this far was dangerous enough. I pulled the hood over my head and slowly made my way south. To my surprise the street were pretty crowded. People buying and selling trinkets, food, clothes, all sorts of things.

It was amazing to see all of this. Everything I had heard about the Hidden Rain village was far from what I saw. It was a city thriving.

I stopped at a food cart to buy a few snacks. There was chatter going on everywhere around me but I had to focus and gather some information.

"Lord pain has been so good to us". My eyes snapped open.

'Lord pain?'

"Here you go ma'am".

"Huh?" My eyes turned back to the young girl in front of me. "Oh thank you".

She had a big smile on her face. There was something off putting about it but I returned the smile taking the bag from her hand. I turned and continued my way down the streets.

'This Pain guy must be the leader of the Akatsuki'.

Suddenly I felt it. Unusual chakra. It felt amplified and unnatural. There were multiple chakras that had this weird aura to them.

'7 of them. But 6 of these had the same chakra. Could it be one person in multiple bodies? Shadow clones? No. That couldn't be '

I turned down an a dark alley and continued towards the tall building.