C H A P T E R 1 8

"I thought I'd find you here".

My head shot up at the sound of his voice. "It was such a nice night I thought I come out and enjoy it". The tips of my toes hovered over the surface of the small lake. I leaned back against my arms as I stared up into the night sky.

It was a warm summer night and all the stars were out. The twinkling dots in the sky lit up the dark blue canvas. I could hear Itachi's feet shuffle closer, with a soft huff he planted himself next to me on the dock.

"What are you doing out so late?" I asked looking over my shoulder to him.

"I should be asking you the same thing, wouldn't your father be worried?"

I chuckled in response. "He's a sleep, he's also not the one to worry too much about me, he knows I can handle myself". I smiled turning back to the sky.

I could almost hear him smirk as he turned his attention to the sky.

Silence settled over us. My feet kicked out over the lake occasionally raking with it a few drops of water. It was nice just to sit here and enjoy each other's company. Seemingly out of nowhere I felt a splash of water on my arms and legs. My head immediately snapped in Itachi's direction. He had an ear to ear grin on his face, a deep chuckle vibrating in his throat.

"Itachi!"

"Mmmm".

A laugh choked from me. I reached down into the water and splashed him back.

For as long as I have known Itachi there wasn't a moment in which he behaved like.... like a child. His demeanour was always adult like, almost always serious, cool calm and collected. So this was indeed a rare moment. We fell in a fit of laughter, our bodies sprawled out on the dock. An indiscernible emotion washed over me. Happiness?, love?, calm? I couldn't tell. All I knew was that I wanted this moment to last forever.

We leaned back and looked on over the lake and into the distant darkness. The street lights were still on casting a warm yellow glow over the water making our shadows dance over the rippling pool.

"Hey Shiori?"

"Yes?"

"What do you see in your future?"

My head tilted back settling against my shoulders.

"Hmmmm... Maybe be chief one day, get married, have kids, you know the usual things a girl wants". I laughed, "What about you?" I said my eyes still trained on the far side of the lake.

"To be with you".

The response was barely over a whisper, and I wasn't sure that I heard it right.

"What?" I responded looking at him, eyes wide with confusion.

"I never thought about it".

I knew I wasn't hearing things, he had said something else. But I wasn't going to force it. I settled back against my arms looking out over the lake.

"You wanna know what I see?"

"Hmm?"

"I see you becoming an amazing ninja.... even more so than you are now. And I see you becoming hokage one day".

"....really?"

"Of course! You have a big heart even though you don't show it, and you care deeply about the village and everyone in it. What more could you ask for in a hokage".

I turned to him, his eyes wide with an almost child like wonder. I returned his bewildered look with a smile.

"I believe in you Itachi".

Our eyes locked, I just couldn't tear my eyes away. Slowly his head leaned towards me. My heart was pounding so loud I thought he could hear. His fingers wrapped around my hand and in one swift motion I was pulled forward. Our faces inches from each other.

"Thank you Shiori".

A smile tugged at my lips, "Of course ...".

"They really are made for each other" . Shisui smirked as he looked on at his two friends. "I'll let them enjoy their time alone".