C H A P T E R 2 6

It was a hot day. I could feel beads of sweat forming on my forehead and the back of my neck. I brushed my arm against my flushed face trying to cool down, but it was no use. It's been more than a week since I left the village, and I still haven't found Tsunade. Tanzaku Quarters was a gambling drunkard's heaven. I had managed to get myself in and out of the casinos without too much attention. There were a few instances where I had been cornered, but it regrettably didn't end well for them.

It was high noon, barely early enough for the people of this town to start gambling and drinking again, and yet here they were doing just that. I wandered around town for about an hour. Popping in and out of the random bars and casino.

After another hour of searching decided that it was time for a break. After drifting through the town for a few days, I found a small tea shop that served the best desserts I had ever tasted.

"Hi, can I get some tea and Dango please?" I asked the bubbly waitress. "Of course!" She smiled and bounded towards the kitchen. It made me smile to think of someone enjoying their job so much. After a few minutes, she returned to me with a steaming cup of tea and a plate of Dango.

"Here you are darling", she smiled, placing the plate and cup next to me on the bench. Her hands folded the tray against her thigh as she continued to stare at me, a smile cemented on her face.

"Can I ask what a young girl like you is doing in a town like this? You're a little too young to be a gambler or a drinker, so what's your story?"

Her unexpected inquiry into my personal story was unexpected. 'Had she noticed me walking back and forth in front of tea shop?'

"I am looking for someone". I replied plainly, taking a sip from the broiling cup.

Her head cocked, her interest unquestionably peaking. Her smile widening, "Oooo, are you looking for a boy?"

My face crinkled in confusion. "No, no. Not a boy". I replied in a hushed tone, bringing the cup back to my lips for another sip. My hands clutched the warm cutlery in my lap. "I am looking for a woman".

I could instantly feel her eyes burrowing into me.

"A woman, huh. Didn't think a pretty girl like you would be into women". She chuckled uncomfortably, her hand scratching the back of her head.

My head cocked again, my face crinkling at the insinuation. 'She seems like the imaginative type'.

The corner of my mouth twitched up in a half-smile. "She is a medical ninja, and I am looking to be her student".

Her face flushed in embarrassment, a sweatdrop forming on her face. She laughed nervously, "Oh, I am so sorry. It's just when you said woman, I thought--".

"Don't worry about it". I replied, taking another sip.

"Well, what does she look like? maybe I can help you find her".

'She is too invested in what I am doing here. Boredom perhaps, but it had been a few days of searching so maybe asking for help wouldn't be such a bad idea.'

I picked up a Dango and took a tentative bite. 'I had never seen Tsunade before, and all I could go on was what the 3rd had told me about her'.

"Well, I don't know what she looks like. I've never met her before".

Her left hand moved to her face. Her fingers propping her chin in a thinking manner. "Hmmm, well, that's no help".

"From what I am told she has long blonde hair with a diamond-like tattoo on her forehead". I spoke after a moment of thinking about her appearance.

"You know what. I did hear about a woman who looks like that in a gambling hall on the other side of town. From the rumors, I hear she was losing a lot of money and owes a lot of money to a lot of people.

I chuckled, "That sounds like her".

"Yeah, that side of town is a little tougher compared to the rest, so be careful if you're planning on going there". She smiled, bringing up the tray clutching it to her chest. She turned back on her heels and walked into the back of the tea shop.

I quickly finished my meal and made my way through the sea of people that are somehow just arising from their sleep.

"She wasn't kidding when she said that this was the bad side of town". I whispered to myself.

The area was considerably worse off than where I had initially started my search. The streets were narrower. Fewer people were crowding the streets, more abandoned storefronts, and it somehow looked darker. 'I probably should have asked which gambling hall, but it's too late now'.

I roamed the streets, ducking in and out of alleyways and taverns. 'This woman is more elusive than oni'. I sighed, stopping in front of the last gambling hall on the street. 'Should I just give up?'

From outside, I could hear a commotion going on inside the building. It was one of the smaller gambling places I had found, sitting farther from the other casinos and taverns on the street. Abruptly a body crashed through the door, landing at my feet. The man writhed in pain, his hands clutching his stomach as he postured in the fetal position. I stared at the man in bewilderment. 'What on earth?'

"Tsunade, that wasn't necessary".

The sound of the name caught my attention. My head turned so fast I almost gave me whiplash. A blond woman stood at the door. Her arm propped up against the frame to keep herself from falling over, an angry expression on her flushed pink face. A dark-haired woman stood by her, trying to settle her rage.

"Next time, I'll kill you for doing that". Tsunade slurred, her other arm waving loosely at the injured man.

"Are you Tsunade?" I asked, unmoved from my position.

"Huh!? And what if I am!" She yelled, stumbling in my direction.

"Tsunade, don't yell at a child like that". The woman scolded, running after her.

I prostrated to her in desperation, "Please... I want you to train me in medical ninjutsu..."Suddenly her voice sobered, and a harsh tone replaced her slurred speech, "Sorry. I am not a teacher, nor am I looking to train anyone".

"Please... I've lost almost everything I care about. I need to be able to help the people I care for. I just need to feel useful. I need to find a purpose again." A lump ballooned in my chest. 'I needed this more than anything. And I needed her to know that'.

"Who are you anyway?".

I slowly raised my head, our eyes meeting for the first time.

"Shiori.... Uchiha".

Her eyes softened. "I heard what happened to the Uchiha clan--".

I prostrated again, "I just want to feel whole again, and this is the only way I can do it. Please, I just need a chance".

" Looker at her Tsunade, just give her a chance." The other woman whispered.

Tsunade's arms crossed over her chest, her cheeks swelling in agitation."---Ughh... Fine. I guess."

My heart almost stopped. "Thank you. This means a lot".

"Don't thank me yet. Get through training, and then we'll see how much you'll be thanking me". Tsunade grumbled, walking away.

"It's nice to meet you. I' am Shizune". The other woman spoke. Her eyes sparkled as she smiled wholeheartedly at me.

I smiled back, "Nice to meet you too".

"If the two of you are done, I'd like to get another drink, so hurry up!". Tsunade yelled back over her shoulder, halfway down the street.

"Let's go. Tsunade isn't the most patient person." Shizune laughed, taking my hand and dragging me along with her.

'Things are finally looking up'.