C H A P T E R 3 9

My head cocked to the side as I looked Tsunade and Kakashi over."Is there a reason why we are here?"

Itachi and I stood at the center of the room. The morning rays of the sun flooded the shutterless room, bathing every inch in a sea of golden hues.

"Now now Shiori". Itachi whispered to me in defensive admonishment.

"Seeing as how the duties of the hokage have been passed to Kakashi, I wanted to bring the two of you here to give you my final decree as hokage". Tsunade spoke, her eyes twitching in agitation at my earlier comment.

"And that is?" I snarled back jokingly.

"Shiori!" Itachi scolded, an uncomfortable look riddling his face.

'He must think something bad is going to happen'. I grinned.

She stalked over to me, an angry growl vibrating through the room. Her eyes drilled into me as she planted herself inches from me.

Finally, a smile spread across her face, her arm shooting out around me, pulling me into a death clutch. "Don't be so smug, you will be working as my personal bodyguard from now on, understand".

"BUT!" I shouted, pulling myself from her grip and peering over her shoulder.

"Don't worry Shiori you will still be assigned regular missions, and I am making you part of the new leaf council". Kakashi smiled.

"Really?"

I was taken aback by the promotion. All I had ever hoped to happen was for me to continue working at the hospital. "What about my duties at the hospital?"

"You will continue your duties there as well". Tsunade smirked.

My head hung in misery. "So what you're telling me is that I am going to be worked to death?" I scoffed.

A hard smack came to the back of my head, "You're still young. Plus, there is no one better for those jobs than you Shiori". Tsunade smiled.

A snarl came in response, "Yeah yeah I get it".

"As for you". Tsunade continued turning to Itachi, taking a side step so that she stood directly in front of him. Her eyes scanned him up and down hostilely.

After an eternity of excruciating silence, her arm reached out to his shoulder, firmly grasping him. She sighed with a smile. "As my final act as hokage, I am dismissing your missing ninja status. You are no longer a rouge ninja of the Hidden Leaf. You are welcome to come and go as you please".

His eyes widened.

"And as a bonus, you will also be a part of the leaf's new council". Kakashi interjected in his usual seemingly uninterested voice, his body swinging around in his newly acquired swivel chair.

I could see the life almost leave his body. His chest heaved, and his body trembled. "Thank you..."

I couldn't imagine the feeling of relief he felt. After all this time, being finally accepted back into the village he's protected and having his little brother back. He must be the happiest man on earth.

I smiled at him. "Welcome back home Itachi". I whispered, lacing his fingers with mine.

"Also... One more thing". Tsunade whispered, pulling him forward and locking her arm around his neck, effectively putting him in a headlock. "Hurt her, and you'll have me to deal with".

All he could do was nod.

I chuckled at her harsh treatment.

'Finally'

"You know you always have a home with us right?" I whispered, grinning up at Sasuke.

He gave a soft smirk, nodding his head in response. Reaching out, I cupped his face, a thumb running over his cheek. A smile crossed his face, and for the first time in almost a decade, I saw the old Sasuke again.

"You sure you want to leave again?"

"It's something I need to do." A pang of guilt hit me. His words echoed a sentiment I felt years ago. When I after the massacre.

My hand slipped from his face down over his chest, stopping at his heart. My head fell forward against his chest. "I am sorry Sasuke... I never said it to you... But I am sorry for leaving you when you needed me the most. Maybe if I didn't, none--".

His hand cupped the back of my head gingerly stroking, "--You were going through it to... Odds are it might have happened either way".

"Just come back this time. Or I'll have to drag you back here". I chuckled, lightly flicking his forehead.

"Yes, ma'am".

A figure stepped up behind me, an arm reaching around, slinging over Sasuke's shoulders reeling him forward into a hug. "I love you Sasuke". Itachi murmured, his forehead pressing against Sasuke's temple. A boyish smile spread across Sasuke's face. A look of pure happiness was written all over his face. It was the most heartwarming thing. Hearing those words come from Itachi, is probably the one and only thing Sasuke wanted.

"Looks like someone wants to talk to you". I nodded in Sakura's direction. "Be nice. God knows I haven't been the best to her". I chuckled, patting his head like a child, despite the almost laughable height difference.

Taking a step back Itachi's arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me against his chest. We watched as the two spoke at the entrance of the village gate. I turned slightly, a hand resting against Itachi's chest. Leaning against the warmth of his body my head tucked beneath his chin.

His arms tightened.

"You think he'll be okay?" I asked, glancing up at him. His eyes focused on the couple standing a few yards away. A beaming smile plastered on his lips, "He'll be just fine". He sounded cheerful for once. He finally got to see Sasuke become the man he always wanted him to be. It was the one thing he wanted more than anything.

Suddenly his face turned to me, a sly grin etching into the corners of his lips, "What do you say we finally start our lives together". He whispered, pressing his lips against my cheek.

Unfathomable joy struck me. The agonizing years spent apart seemed to melt away like ice in spring. This single moment washed away the endless loneliness that drowned me.

"Nothing would make me happier".

His lips pressed against mine. A quick soft peck, but it still lit me with joy nonetheless.

"What should we do first?" I giggled as we waved Sasuke off.

His hand tucked under my chin, pulling me to face him, a mischievous smirk on his face. 

"How about we work on that family". A blush rushed over me, the air around me became so hot I could feel my nerves begin to prickle.

"Mmmhm"