C H A P T E R 2 2

My legs carried me from tree to tree, branch to branch. Trying with all my might to make it. But my feet weren't moving as fast as I wanted them to. There was a growing pit in my stomach, a desperate fear I was trying to push to the back of my mind was knawing at me. 'I have to make it in time. Please just let me make it'.

The pounding of my heart filled my ears. My temples throbbed with a pain that distorted my vision. Everything was becoming a blur, my vision tunneled. My eyes focused only on the next branch, then the next, then the next.

'Die on me and I won't forgive you'.

I was only about 2 km away from the hideout, but the time it took to cross the land felt like an eternity and a day. Finally reaching the edge of the forest I could faintly make out the presence of 4 other individuals.

I could recognize one as Itachi's partner, but the other three were new to me. 'They must be here with Sasuke'.Leaning back I pivoted right and ran in the opposite direction. No point in starting a fight right now, I had other more pressing matters to attend to.

Not too far in the opposite direction, I could sense more people. It was Kakashi and the others plus two. I recognized one of the individuals as the man from the night of the massacre. 'What could he possibly be doing here?'

I found a door on the far side of the hideout, It had been a while since I was last here so maneuvering around the enormous compound was going to be a little difficult. My hand landed on the handle pushing the door in it squeaked with an eye twitching screech.

Stepping inside I let the door fall shut behind. I tipped toed down the long dark hallway to the main meeting room.

"I don't hear anything so at least they haven't started yet". I spoke into the dark and open air.

After a minute of winding hallways, I finally made it to the main room. Pressing my ear to the door I could hear the faint voices of Sasuke and Itachi talking. From the inflections in their voices, I could vaguely place where they stood in the room. The door next to me was at the far right corner of the main room. Itachi sounded like he was clear across the room. Sasuke stood much closer to where I was.

My hand gripped the handle firmly, 'make your move now'. Chakra poured into my eyes coating my vision in a red hue. 'Worst comes to worst I use Susanoo'. Something caught my attention, it had become eerily quiet. Itachi and Sasuke were no longer speaking. The sound of their voices replaced with the clinking of shuriken.

Silence.

Then a gut-wrenching scream.

'Genjutsu?'

I hadn't noticed how hard my hand was gripping the door until the soft prickling of my nerves falling asleep broke my thoughts.

My eyes closed, and with one slow deep breath, I moved into position.

'Bodyflicker'.

My eyes fluttered open, I was standing between Itachi and Sasuke.

I was face to face with the young Uchiha. It had been years since I last saw him. He looked scarily identical to Itachi now. His long hair framing his face in just the same way. And those eyes were just as piercing.

"Shiori?"

Sasuke was dumbfounded. His face blank of expression. His eyes stared me down as though if he blinked I would disappear.

I straightened up, my arms landing at my sides. My body shifting slightly to the right. My head tilting just enough to catch a glimpse of Itachi. I could see his shock. He wasn't expecting my interference. Especially after the little stunt, he tried to pull.