C H A P T E R 1 7

"Are you sure?"

"Sounds like you don't trust me to go alone". Jiraiya smirked, his eyes reflecting the cocky smile adorning his lips.

"I do. It's just that it seems to dangerous for you to go at it alone. And in the village hidden in the rain of all places". My eyes flashed to his. His smile didn't fade, it only widened.

"Sounds like you're worried about me".

My eyes instinctively rolled. It pained me to admit it but I was worried about what would happen. "Judging by how strong the few Akatsuki members we have faced a man who is the leader of a group like this is probably incomparably more dangerous".

"You worry too much". He laughed picking up the sake bottle taking a swig from the almost empty bottle.

With a deep breath a sigh breathed through my nose. Turning in my seat I watched as people filed in and out of the restaurant. "This isn't something to joke about... They have already began capturing jinchuriki, and we are nowhere near understanding what they are trying to achieve. We are treading dangerous territory".

My head turned back to him, that smile still on his face. Without a word he slid the bottle of sake across the table. My fingers wrapped around the neck of the bottle bringing it to my lips. Tipping back I polished off the remaining contents and placed it back on the table.

"You picked up a bad habit from Tsunade". He laughed. I couldn't help but smile at the idiot.

"You better not die perv.... Or I'll follow you into the afterlife and drag you back". I smirked.

"I'll be back before you know it".

He smiled again, and something felt familiar about it... 'he was lying?'

".....come back for Tsunade... She's to stubborn to admit it but she loves you.... She can't lose someone else".

His hands came up in a defensive posture as he chuckled. "Hey, hey, hey, what's bringing this on? I'll come back".

My eyes lowered to the table, my mind flashing back to Shisui... and to my father...

"You're smile".

"My smile?"

"Every time I've seen that smile people die".

I felt the table shift. Jiraiya abruptly stood from the table. His large hand landing on my shoulder. Looking up, he had his back to me, his head tilting over his shoulder. "I'll make sure to come back in one piece". His hand pulled from my shoulder as he made his way to the door of the restaurant. Before pulling the door open his head turned back one final time as he winked and waved goodby.

"I'll hold you to that". I whispered watching as the door shut behind him.

'Damn it Jiraiya... You promised....'

We all stood in silence.... 'Naruto hasn't heard yet. And I had found Tsunade crying earlier in the hallway she was devastated'.

The general consensus around the room was to keep quiet about the situation, but I had spoken against it. It wouldn't have been fair for Naruto not to know Jiraiya is dead. Eventually everyone agreed, but now came the difficult part. Actually telling him.

"Hey Grandma Tsunade". We all heard Naruto on the other side of the door, with a giggle of the handle the door flung open. The room went rigid, all of us stood at attention, an awkward tension settled over the entire room.

"What's going on? Why does everyone look sad?" He sounded so innocent. I had the sudden urge to reach out to him but my body wouldn't move.

"Naruto boy something has happened". The toad sage spoke.

"What happened? Did something happen to pervy sage?" His voice echoed. I could hear the trouble in his voice.

"Jiraiya is dead...."

The look on his face said it all. His world was crashing around him, he had lost someone he considered a father figure, someone he looked up to.

Sakura moved closer to him in an effort to comfort him but it was futile, he only pulled away.

I knew that look it was more than a feeling of devastation, it was like having your heart ripped out of your chest and watching someone throw it to the wolves. He turned slowly and walked out the door.

Slowly everyone filed out after him. Tsunade had been quite from the beginning. She sat nestled to her desk, her fingers laced together, her eyes closed, and her teeth chewing on her bottom lip. Shizune and I stood on either side of her, her back still turned towards us. My eyes moved from the back of her head to Shizune. Her face was filled with worry. She knew how much Jiraiya meant to her, not to mention that this was just one more person she lost in the line of duty.

After what seemed like an eternity of silence she finally spoke.

"Shiori....... I have a favor to ask of you".

Her voice was breaking, she was trying hard not to cry, but her hands were shaking. It was taking a lot of strength not to break down and lose it.

"What is it?"

"I wouldn't ask this... but...."

I reached out to her, my hand clutching her trembling shoulder. She finally turned to me, her eyes full of tears that refused to fall, but were pleading to me. "Bring his body back please".

My eyes widened. 'Has she lost it!?'

"Lady Tsunade! That is too much to ask of anyone". Shizune shrieked here eyes frantic.

I could feel her shoulder heave and tremble beneath my fingers, 'she lost someone she loves.... Would I ask the impossible if Itachi was ripped from me? Of course I would'. My eyes softened, I knew how much this meant to her, how much Jiraiya meant to her.

"I'll do it".

"Shiori! This is too dangerous there is no telling what might happen to you!" Shizune's eyes turned to me with a look of shock. She looked at me like I had grown a second head.

"If you are going to bring back Jiraiya boy's body then you are going to need an escort". The toad sage spoke for the first time since the room had emptied. I nodded softly in acknowledgement.

I could feel Tsunade's hand clutch mine, her entire body was shaking now. Her head lowered as she pressed her forehead against my wrist. My eyes flashed to Shizune a smile on my face, "I can handle myself. I promise".

"Thank you Shiori...."

I laid my hand softly against Tsunade's head softly stroking her hair. Slowly I pulled my hand from her, rocking back on my heels I walked around the desk I made my way to the door of the hokage's office. Turning over my shoulder I gave a big smile and a laxed two finger salute, "I am off. Oh and if I don't come back don't send anyone after me". I chuckled softly.

"Shiori don't!"

I could hear Shizune call after me, but I ignored it and walked out of the office, down the hallway, down the stairs, out the main building, and down the road.

'This isn't going to be easy. But I am gonna try'.