C H A P T E R 4 8

The smell of iron... Blood running along the tatami mat. The thick liquid clung to the weapon, clung to every inch of my body.

"Live a life worth your choices. I'll be joining your mother soon."

That night replayed on a broken loop. Over and over again.

"Shiori!" The antic voice pulled me from my memories.

"Huh?" I tured to face the man who called for me. A hand brushed over my face, tucking loose strands behind my ear.

"What's wrong?" I asked, batting my eyes out of my nightmareish daze. It had been years since the night of the massacar replayed like a sick movie. 'Why now?'

"Where did you go?" Itachi whispered, pressing his forehead to mine, his hand moving to cradle the back of my head.

"That night..." The words didn't fully form as they left my lips, but fell in silent gulps.

"It's behind us now. We are going to have to forgive ourselves... one day." His eyes flashed with saddness.

It pained me to have to see him like this. He had come so far after all the sadness and agony he had put himself through, and here I was drudging up old nightmares that I never paid for. I didn't have a right to bring this up to him. It wasn't fair... He paid a lifetime for our sins... Meanwhile, I lived in a nightmare of my own making.

"I am sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up." I tried desperately to fake a smile as I wrapped my and around his formarm.

"You paid for that night just as much as I did. Stop tormenting yourself." He whispered, pressing a kiss to the corners of my mouth.

"That's supposed to be my line." I smiled half-heartedly.

He returned my half-assed smiles with a sad one of his own.

Then, there was a light slap against my leg. Looking down, I found Tsuande staring up at me. Her face held a gaze I couldn't quite put. She looked confused as she stared back at me. Her dark eyes were different somehow. Almost as if they could read my mind.

"Who was that?"

I crouched down to her level, slowly patting her head as I tried my best to fake a smile at her. "What do you mean, Tsuna?"

"The man on the ground... He said he would be joining someone soon."

I stared at her in disbelief. How could she know about a conversation I had with my father before he died. It was as if when she looked into my eyes, she saw everything.

'One who could see beyond what the sharingan could see.'

The conversation I had with my grandmother years ago came rushing back to me. 'Couldn't be... It was some Uchiha myth... She couldn't have been telling me the truth... There's no way!'

"Mom?" Tsunade whispered, tugging at a lock of my hair.

"I think it's time for bed." I half-laughed, sweeping the small girl into my arms and walking across the kitchen.

"Shiori."

"We'll talk about this after."

"Mommy! I don't want to sleep yet! Uncle Sasuke was going to show me a cool trick!" She practically hollard over my shoulders as I made my way down the hall and into her room.

"I promise you, Sasuke will show you a cool trick in the morning." I huffed.

"Want me to get her into bed?" I turned to find Sasuke. He looked almost embarrassed at his own question.

"Sure, if you want to deal with this little monster." I laughed, tickling Tsunade. She twisted in my arms, laughing hard as she tried to escape my grip. I lulled her into Sasuke's arms and kissed her forehead. "Don't give Uncle Sasuke too much trouble." I whispered against her cheek.

"Read me a book!" Tsunade sang, wrapping her arms around Sasuke's neck, repositioning herself in his arms.

"Sure." He said, smiling at Tsunade.

I quickly turned, walking back down the hall and into the kitchen. Itachi was still at the sink, putting away the clean dishes, his back to me. But the moment he felt my presence, he turned to me, his hands propping against the countertop.

"She's rambuctious as ever." He drawled, looking past me.

"She's definitely our daughter." I retored, walking up to him resting my hands against his chest.

"She knew..."

"Knew?"

"What she asked... It was the last thing my father said to me before..."

In an instand, his arms were around me.

"Maybe we said something to her by accident... Or maybe she overheard us talking." It was as if he was trying to make up excuses for why Tsuna always knew things she shouldn't have. Why it always seemed like she had preminisions.

"No. We have always been careful around her... Today was the first time I've verbalized my nightmares to you, and it's been years since that night replayed in my head. And this isn't the first time she's known something as if she's read our minds... Don't pretend like you haven't noticed it before."

"I'll admit... She does seem to have wisdom beyond her years. But -."

"Itachi... This isn't wisdom... She's having preminisons."

"Shiori, people can't tell the future or read people's minds."

"The Kensho..."

Itachi looked dumfounded. He had no idea what I was talking about. No one would know what I was talking about because I was losing my mind.

The Kensho was a myth.