C H A P T E R 4 5

The village was abuzz with activity.

It was a rough few years after the war. Rebuilding the village, brokering new alliances between the nations, and reorganizing efforts both within and outside the village took a lot out of the major players of the village, myself included. Itachi and I spent the better part of two years negotiating agreements, trades, and on my part building, organizing, and training the medical core of the afflicted nations.

But it seems that now everything has finally returned to a sense of normalcy.

Peace was an odd thing to be accustomed to.

I weaved in and out of the busy stalls, trying to pick my way out to the south gate of the village. And after what seemed like hours I finally managed to wade through the constant push and pull of warm bodies.

The walk to the gate was relatively silent. Tsunade's head was tucked against the crook of my neck, the soft hum of her breathing brushing against me warmed my skin. Her arms and legs were locked tightly around my body, as my arms locked under her's, holding her against my torso.

'She might have the ability to master difficult jutsu, but her body isn't capable of handling that much chakra output'.

Her head shifted against my shoulder, the soft gurgle of her stirring in her sleep brought a smile to my face. Suddenly an overwhelming feeling took root in my chest as I looked down at the child in my arms.

She was my salvation. Itachi's salvation. 

A chance to redeem ourselves... after everything.

The moment I stepped over the threshold of the village gate, a sudden wave of elation skated through me, sending ripples of raised skin over every inch of my body.

'He's here'.

My body recognized his movements before my mind could even register it. Reacting to the mere presence of him as he moved about in the world, even without having to lay eyes on him.

He was my soul exsisting in a separate entity.

Off in the distance a barely visible dark figure shifted. 

I wanted so desperately to run to him, the wanton instict twisted in my chest, fluttering and tightening with every step he took. But I couldn't run to him, not with a sleeping child wrapped around me. 

I had to shove down my almost inate raction.

'He'll be within reach soon enough'. I thought to myself, holding Tsunade closer.

Even at this distance I couldn't help to admire him. The long hair that used to sit tied behind his back was now billowed loosely in the summer breeze. The face that was twisted with anguish and despair for most of his life was now soft with smiles.

Smiles I never got tired of. 

Slowly a second figure mateialized beside Itachi. The raven hair was all the indication I needed to know exactly who it was.

Gingerly I rocked Tsuna up and down trying to lull her awake, "Wake up Tsuna, your dad is here".

At the mention of her father, Tsunade shot up in an instant. Her head snapping left and right in desperate search for him.

Finally her body turned just enough for her to make contact with father. I could feel the excitment vibrate through her as she clutched the exposed skin of my shoulders. 

"Daddy!"