C H A P T E R 3 1

"You're uncharacteristically late."

"It was a little hard getting away from Kisame."

His voice was flat and monotone. Unusual especially when we were alone. His face was unemotional his eyes were sullen and hollow. My eyes traveled down the length of his body, he appeared to be in better health than when he left the village but something was weighing heavily on his conscious.

My feet shuffled sheepishly, tripping over themselves as I moved towards him. His mere presence never ceasing to bring my behavior out of quality. With extended arms, my body collided with his. My arms instantaneously snaked around his waist winding up his back, clutching onto his cloak.

A muffled sound of surprise vibrated against his chest as my cheek pressed against him. I snuggled into him, the need to be close to him drowned me. My nose dug into the fabric of his cloak, his scent pouring into my functionalities overwhelming me. The faint smell of cinnamon clung to him.

"You seem bothered." His chest muffling my words.

Slowly but surely, his arms coiled around my shoulders, drawing me closer.

"I was... worried.... about you. You're limping" His words are slow and controlled as if he spoke just a little too fast, he would choke.

I burrowed into his warm body, "Its just a crushed bone. And that's supposed to be my line." I tittered, looking up into his face, chin supported against his sternum. My fingers drummed against the muscles in his back, fingering and twisting in the garment. He sighed against my touch, his face ultimately giving way to some semblance of emotion.

A ghost of a smile quipped at the corners of his lips. "I live for you, remember." I grinned, pulling away from him. My right hand dripped from his back, slowly entangling with his. Bringing our hands up between our bodies, I anchored my pinky with his. "We made a promise."

"We did."

My thumb absently caressed his coarse knuckles. For a moment, I was lost.

"You seem lost?"

"I have been meaning to ask you..."

"Yes?" He asked, his face leaning down, so his nose brushed against the exposed skin of my shoulders. The gentle touch riled me, sending my heartbeat soaring. His head shifted forward, warm lips pressing open mouth kisses from my shoulder up to my ear.

My body was vibrating. Every cell singing with high-pitched abundance. Every time his lips made contact, lightning jolts pierced through me. My trembling fingers splayed against his chest and forearm, attempting to push him back to no avail.

"This is serious Itachi." I gasped, sharp incisors dragging into the plush muscle inside my mouth.He hummed an incoherent response as his lips sucked the tender skin beneath my ear. The drag of his tongue against my searing skin fragmented my mind. Flutters of arousal emanating throughout my weakened body.

"It's about the man in the mask." I moaned, practically brought to the edge of desire from a single trick of his lips.

His head quickly shot up my neck, a puzzled look on his face. "What about him?"

"Have you ever seen him without a mask?" I breathed, finally catching my bearings.

His eyes scrunched. "No."

"Are you sure it's Madara?"

"I can't say I am 100 percent sure, but it is as sure as I can be".

My head lowered, "I don't think it is."

"Why?"

"He came to me right before the village was attacked. When he made his exit, he did something."

"Hmmm."

"He used kamui."

"Kamui?"

"It was similar to Kakashi's mangekyo sharingan. No.... it was the same."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. That man isn't Madara. Another Uchiha is still alive".

His brow cocked, eyes slanting in thought.

"Did Kakashi ever tell you how he ever obtained his Sharingan?"

"He said a friend had entrusted it to him to keep a promise."

"I remember hearing about an Uchiha dying during the war. He was a student of the 4th, and his body was never brought back to the village."

"You think it might be him?"

"It's just a feeling but-"

"If you've given it that much thought, then I am sure it has some ground to stand on. I'll look into it on my end."

His warm hand cupped my face, thumb dragging long strokes against my warm cheek. Our eyes locked, and in an instant, every worry I had washed away.

"Every time I look into your eyes I'm reminded of why I fell in love with you."A warm feeling spider-webbed through my chest, my heart pounding with happiness. A grin widened across my lips.

"You are always to catch me off guard with your confessions of love."

His eyes batted down at me with mirth, "Shouldn't love be full of surprises?" His head angled down pursing his lips against mine in a heartfelt kiss. My arms snaked up his chest and around his neck, pulling him deeper into the kiss.

The tips of his fingers pressed into the exposed skin at my hips. His index and thumb pinching ever so softly.

The moment my fingers moved to twist in his hair, his head lowered back to my neck, forehead bearing down on my shoulders. His hands moved from my hips to my elbows, clutching me.

"One day, this will be over." His breath dancing across my flushed skin.

I shook myself free from him. My hands quickly moving to cradle his face.

"And we'll be able to live our lives."

"I'll be counting down to the last minute."

"Me too."