C H A P T E R 1 2

"I head Naruto is coming back soon". 

Tsunade's hand wrapped around the steaming tea cup Shizune placed on the table. "Yes. Him and Jiraiya should be back any time now". Her eyes slide shut a small smile playing on her lips.

"Looks like you missed the little runt". I snickered turning my head from the window and narrowing my eyes in her direction. 

Her smile grew winder, "maybe I have". 

'She sounds happier than usual'. I thought leaning back against the railing of the enormous window that decorated the hokage's office. My eyes wandered over the buildings, moving from one roof to the next. 'It's been 3 long years, I wonder how he's been'.  I thought to myself. I did miss the little runt if I do say so myself, he brought a lot of life to the village especially to Tsunade. 

"I've been meaning to ask something of you". 

Her statement caught me off guard. It wasn't like her to ask, everything came as more of an order than a request. 

"Yes?"

"I want you to look into something for me". 

My eyebrow raised in confusion, "don't you have ANBU for that?" I replied crossing my arms over my chest, my left hip dropping as my weight shifted to my right. 

Tsunade shifted in her chair, pushing back and turning slightly to the side so that she almost fully faced me. She leaned back, her arms coming up, fingers interlocking as they always did when she had something important to say. 

"You're better than all the ANBU members put together, and I don't trust anyone but you to do this for me". 

And there it was. I huffed at her, 'She's handing out compliments again. This must be good'. 

Despite my hesitation to probe further, my interest in the task presented was peaked. 

"Stop paying compliments and tell me what you need me to do". I sighed. 'I am sure whatever she wants me doing isn't anything easy to accomplish'.

"Jiraiya has been gathering information about an organization called the Akatsuki, we don't know much about the members other than Itachi". 

My heart fluttered at the sound of his name. 

"And you want me to do more investigating?" 

Tsunade tentatively took another sip from her cup. Her eyes flickered to me as a response. A sigh fell from my lips, my fingers running through my hair. 

"So what are the parameters?" 

Tsunade's mouth pulled into a grin.

"You have permission to engage in any action you see fit". 

My eyes slid shut a smile crossing my face, "When do I start?" 

"Once Jiraiya and Naruto make it back I want you to get a full brief and from there it's up to you when you want to leave". 

"What about the hospital?" 

"Shizune will take over until you return". 

I nodded my head rising to the ceiling, "Does he think the Akatsuki is planning something big?" 

"It appears so". 

A soft knock sounded from the other side of the room. All our eyes move in unison to the sound. 

"My lady?" 

"Come in". 

Sakura head popped through the door a smile adorning her face, "guess who's back!" 

Suddenly the door flew open and the familiar yellow haired knuckle head came bounding in followed by the white haired sage. I could feel a sense of happiness wash over the room. Tsunade's face lit up at the sight of him. 

"You're back Naruto". I grinning. My eyes scanned him up and down. He has definitely grown up, he was taller now, his voice a tad deeper. Besides his clothing he hasn't changed much at all. He had a big smile on his face per usual, his blue eyes sparkling along with his smile. 

"It's been a long time you two" Tsunade spoke after a moment. "I hope your training was fruitful". 

"You think we would've come back without producing any results?" Jiraiya responded in his ever so seductive voice.

"Mission accomplished!" Naruto practically boomed as he threw his hand up in a thumbs up. 

A soft chuckle escaped my lips, 'somethings never do change'. 

I turned and looked out the window my hands bracing against the rails. The soft summer breeze wafted across my face. I could feel something ominous drift in the wind. The hairs on my arms and neck stood straight up, 'something is coming'.