C H A P T E R 6

"How was your mission Itachi?" I asked, running up to the newly minted member of the ANBU black ops.

"It wasn't anything too interesting". Itachi stopped to let me catch up with him. His reply was uninteresting, but it was very Itachi-like. I doubled over, my hands gripped my knees, as I huffed trying to catch my breath from running. 

After a few deep breaths, I straightened up.  Our eyes met and a smile broke out on both our faces. "Oh come on nothing cool happening 'at the center of the village?' " I asked again, poking his cheek.

"You know I can't talk about it." He replied, his cheeks puffing in response to my teasing. 

"I know," I replied. Smiling and kissing his cheek. 

A dark blush bloomed over his face. I giggled at the biological response. Itachi wasn't one to show emotion and was good at hiding the ones he did have. But no matter how much he tried he could never hide his blush when I kissed his cheek. 

"I heard you made jonin and joined the military police." His voice was tight with embarrassed frustration. 

I nodded, "Nothing too impressive, unlike the great Itachi Uchiha." I laughed. Suddenly his face twisted in seriousness. 

Grinning, I grabbed his hand lacing our fingers together I yanked him down the path leading to the compound. "Let's get home before it gets dark."

We walked in silence. Most of our walks home were silent, neither of us were what you considered big talkers, so quiet was nothing out of the norm between us.

Unexpectedly Itachi stopped, nearly causing me to tip back due to the firm grip. "Have you been attending the meetings?" I froze. My eyes fixating on the brick layout beneath my feet. "I have...."

"What do you think about what they are trying to do?" His question surprised me. Was this a test?

"I hate it. I hate the idea that the clan harbors so much hate for the village". My eyes raised from the slashing lines of the brick path to meet Itachi's stare. "War seems to be inevitable in our world. Something we can't escape no matter how hard we try. There's always something or someone... to tip the balance in favor of war... I just want peace." His eyes dilated.

My heart pounded. 'Should I have kept what I really felt? Would Itachi tell his father that I was against the clan's sentiment?'

Thump... Thump... Thump

And for the first time, since I knew Itachi, the silence became an agonizing dagger of fear. 

"You feel the same way...." His voice was soft, barely above a whisper, as if if he spoke a little louder someone would swoop down and steal him away.

"What do you mean?"

"I want a world without fighting... A world without ninjas... A world of peace". His words staggered me. Each word hit me, like a stick striking a gong. 

"H-how do you plan on doing that?" I stuttered. 

"Become strong and gain more power than anyone else. I will stop this coup and become Hokage so that I will be able to one day bring peace to the entire ninja world." I stared up at my friend. His face filled with a sense of determination that sent a cold shiver down my neck. It was almost terrifying. The hairs on my body stood on ends. 

He meant what he said. He meant it with every fiber of his being.

We stood staring into each other's eyes in silence for what seemed like an eternity.

"I want to help..."

"You do?"

I silently nodded. I couldn't pull my gaze from his eyes. I wanted more than anything to make that dream a reality.