C H A P T E R 3 6

When I opened my eyes, I was on the front line, standing side by side with Garra, Naruto, and the others.

"Looks like I made it just in time". I whispered, more to myself than to anyone else.

In the distance, I could make out two figures that stood atop a large boulder. The chakra I felt from one of the men daunted me. It was completely different from the man in the mask. It was incredibly and inconceivably strong. The entirety of the allied forces' chakra levels narrowly compared to his. But it felt odd. I just couldn't quite place it. It felt like a presence that was known but somehow unknown, familiar but foreign, born of godly intent but corrupted by hellish agony...

His immeasurable chakra was tainted and menacing.

Ominous... Evil even...

"Shiori? Where did you come from? Where's granny?" Naruto's voice broke my thoughts.

"Huh? She's with the raikage, but she told me to come here". I responded, eyes still trained on the forboding man that is Madara.

Suddenly the figures dropped down, making their way towards us at top speed.

"They're coming!" Naruto yelled.

"Stop!" I barked, taking a stand before them.

"Let me handle this for now". I smirked, looking over my shoulder.

"But?!" Naruto contested.

"Just shut up and let me handle this okay?" I laughed with a wink.

I could see him bite back another imposition. His big blue eyes sparkling with uneasiness.

But before I could signal the rest of the forces to stand back, someone among the sea of constipated bodies uttered a fearful battle cry, beckoning the rest to rush into battle.

My head cocked back, "Damnit it".

"Shiori!"

"Just stay back, if he's the real deal then there's going to be a lot of casualties". I barked over my shoulders.

On the battlefield, Madara was laying waste to the allied forces.

Sharp incisors sunk tortuously into the plushy muscles of my inner lip. My left arm reached behind my waist, clutching the cool metal of my most trusted weapon. But the moment my fingers brushed the cool textile I body froze. Was I scared to do battle with the infamous Uchiha? Was I scared that if I did, I would lose my life? Lose the opportunity to live life with Itachi? Break the promises I made with the most important people in my life?

But it didn't matter... In the end, if I didn't fight now, I would lose everything.

Then I saw it. His fingers wove the sign for the majestic destroyer flame jutsu.

"MOVE DAMNIT!" I yelled to myself.

In the blink of an eye, I was at the forefront. The wings of the phoenix-like flames scorched the earth as it barreled straight for me.

'Mangekyo sharingan'.

Almost instantaneously, the flames disappeared as they made contact with the circumferential barrier around me. After the flames had dissipated, the effect of the sharingan coursed through me. My body hunched at the waist, my vision tilting with warped orientation. My breathing labored as my hand clutched the left side of my head, the heel of my palm pressing painfully into the socket.

'The effects of time warping is still just as painful as ever'.

"That is quite a powerful sharingan. But it would appear to have some intense drawbacks". His voice was unnaturally deep that it stunted me.