C H A P T E R 2

A soft breath bristled past my lips as I rocked back on my heels.

'He did manage to conceal himself completely from me.' My eyes wandered around the training area. Digging my heels deeper into the ground, I tipped back further, trying to nose out his location without putting too much effort. 

Light trickled in through parted branches, bringing with it a sweeping breeze. My eyes drifted shut, a soft smile pulling at the corner of my lips, 'there you are.'

Training with Sasuke brought a warm feeling that wedged itself uncomfortablely in my heart, nudging a memory loose that I didn't have the right to relish in.

A sober chuckle rasped against my chest. 'I'll let him have his fun.'

"Kakashi definitely taught you how to disappear into your surroundings, but did he teach you how to attack?" I call out into the empty greenery. 

'8 O'clock'. 

Cocking my head back I waited for the faints of sounds, but nothing came. Then, the sharp chattering sound of a thousand chirping birds Burts through the air. Sasuke's arm swooped out at me in a punching motion, trying to catch me off guard. Tilting back slightly, I evaded the potentially fatal blow. His slender arm moving past my head as sparks of blue and white ribbons danced across his first.

"Almost," I whispered. 

Our eyes connected, shock widened the permanent scowl on his young dejected face. My fingers wrapped tightly around his wrist pushing forward preventing any momentum he had behind his thrust. 

Channeling a slow stream of chakra into my hand, I searched for an opening to disperse the lightning jutsu.

In a matter of seconds, the lightning died and the chirpping ceased. "HOW!?" Sasukw breathed, his voice echoing with surprise.

"Better luck next time, Sasuke," I replied with smiling.

Just then his foot kicked up, attempting to land a devastating blow to my head, but my fingers curled around his ankle just in time, and in a swift motion I pushed back sending him flying back a few feet.

Sasuke immediately jumped to his feet, making a B-line for me. 'A head-on attack?' 

Suddenly, he slid to a stop, and his hands moved in a symphony of beautifully executed signs. But even without the Sharingan, I knew exactly what he was planning. 

Ox, Tiger, Horse, Boar, Rat... Rooster

 A smirk turned my lips, 'He's giving me a run for my money.'

Then a single sign... with a single hand.

A blade of fire appeared in my hand— 'Dragon's Claw' - a jutsu of my design. Channeling chakra into my hand, I threded fire into my hand to create a blade of fire.

Sasuke completed the hand signs and unleashed the Fire Ball Jutsu. With a devastating swing, my Dragon's Claw sliced right through Sasuke's Fire Ball, splitting it in a blaze of glory.

Sasuke stood in disbelief as he witnessed the clan's strongest jutsu reduced to a child's plaything.

"W-w-what was that? I've never seen any fire-style jutsu like that before!" Confusion broke over his shock as he tried to understand what had just happened. 

"That's cause I developed it on my own. Kakashi isn't the only one with a self-made jutsu." I replied, releasing the jutsu, the last of the flames dying into my palm as our eyes connected.

The light that had spilled between the branches brightened. The sun hung high in the sky, telling me that it was time. The pang of sadness that settled in my chest tightened, 'I have to leave.' 

"I need to go to work," I signed. Suddenly, his eyes dimmed. I could see the glimmer of happiness - however small get snuffed out. Disappointment lined his brows as he huffed in contempt but gave a curt nod.

"Why do you work at the hospital anyway? Weren't you a top-ranking jonin at some point?" Sasuke asked, his features settling back into its permanent scowl. 

"It's just something I have to do until they find someone capable of managing the hospital." I respond, running my fingers through my hair.

"......I never knew you knew medical ninjutsu." He retorted, his eyes zeroing in on me as if he was trying to comprehend everything in a passing glance. 

"Something I picked up a while ago." I respond nonchalantly. 

"That have something to do with you leaving the village 6 years ago?" My eyes narrowed. He was fishing for answers that I wasn't willing to give - just not yet anyway.

Rocking back on my heels, I twisted away from him, walking back towards the village."Do you think you could teach me how you did that fire jutsu?" My head snapped back. The hope in his voice brought a stutter to my poor excuse of a heart. 'Eager to learn just like his brother.'

Smiling, I turned and walked back to him, my hand landing on his head. "Maybe some other time, Sasuke." I replied softly.

His head snapped up at me, and something dark flared across his eyes.

Anger.

"You sound just like him."

His voice was harsh, but I knew the source of his anger.

Pain. 

My heart clenched at the pain I caused him. I forced a smile and ruffled his hair as I walked away.

"I'll see you later, Sasuke," I rasped, waving my hand. 

'Would I be able to face him with the Truth one day?'