Detention in the Dark Forest Pt 2

"My name is Firenze," the centaur added, as he lowered himself on to his front legsso that Artemis and Harry could clamber onto his back.There was suddenly a sound of more galloping from the other side of theclearing and two other centaurs burst through the forest, their flanksheaving and sweaty."Firenze!" Bane thundered. "What are you doing? You have two humans onyour back! Have you no shame? Are you a common mule?" 

"Do you realize who this is?" said Firenze. "This is the Potter boy and the Black girl. Thequicker they leave this forest, the better."

"What have you been telling him?" one of the centaurs. "Remember, Firenze,we are sworn not to set ourselves against the heavens. Have we not read whatis to come in the movements of the planets?" 

The other centaur pawed the ground nervously. "Bane, I'm sure Firenze thought he wasacting for the best," he said in his gloomy voice. 

Bane kicked his back legs in anger."For the best! What is that to do with us? Centaurs are concerned withwhat has been foretold! It is not our business to run around like donkeys afterstray humans in our forest!" 

Firenze suddenly reared onto his hind legs in anger, so that Harry had tograb his shoulders to stay on and Artemis quickly wrapped her arms around Harry waist."Do you not see that unicorn?" Firenze bellowed at Bane. "Do you notunderstand why it was killed? Or have the planets not let you in on thatsecret? I set myself against what is lurking in this forest, Bane, yes, withhumans alongside me if I must."And Firenze whisked around; with Harry and Artemis clutching on as best they could,they plunged off into the trees, leaving Ronan and Bane behind them. 

Harry and Artemis didn't have a clue what was going on, especially Artemis."Why's Bane so angry?" he asked. "What was that thing you saved us from, anyway?"Firenze slowed to a walk, warned the two first years to keep their heads bowed in case oflow-hanging branches, but did not answer Harry's question. They made theirway through the trees in silence. They were passing through a particularly densepatch of trees, however, when Firenze suddenly stopped. 

"Harry Potter, do you know what unicorn blood is used for?" 

"No," said Harry, startled by the odd question. "We've only used the hornand tail hair in Potions." 

"It is a monstrous thing, to slay a unicorn, school wouldn't want young wizards knowing about it" said Artemis and remembers what she had read about unicorns."Only one who has nothing to lose, and everything to gain, would commitsuch a crime. The blood of a unicorn will keep you alive, even if you are aninch from death, but at a terrible price. You have slain something pure anddefenseless to save yourself, and you will have but a half-life, a cursed life,from the moment the blood touches your lips." 

"Smart girl" Firenze states

"But who'd be that desperate?" Harry wondered aloud. "If you're going to becursed forever, death's better, isn't it?" 

"It is," Firenze agreed, "unless all you need is to stay alive long enough todrink something else — something that will bring you back to full strengthand power — something that will mean you can never die. Mr. Potter, and Miss Black, do youknow what is hidden in the school at this very moment?" 

"The Sorcerer's Stone! Of course — the Elixir of Life! But I don'tunderstand who —" Harry starts

"Can you think of nobody who has waited many years to return to power,who has clung to life, awaiting their chance?"It was as though an iron fist had clenched suddenly around Artemis and Harry's heart. Artemis knew exactly who he was referring to, it was Voldemort, Voldemort had returned and she had encountered him twice, chill went through her spine

"Do you mean," Harry croaked, "that was Vol —" 

"Harry! Artemis! are you both all right?"Hermione was running toward them down the path, Hagrid puffing alongbehind her.