Welcome to Hogwarts

"Oy, you there! Is this your toad?" said Hagrid, who was checking the boats as people climbed out of them.

"Trevor!" cried Neville blissfully, holding out his hands.

"why would someone want a toad as a pet?" Octavia asked in confusion

"all creatures are beautiful in their own way Tavi" Artemis says with a smile, the girl raised her eyebrows at the nickname, but she liked it so she didn't say anything.

Then they clambered up a passageway in the rock after Hagrid's lamp, coming out at last onto smooth, damp grass right in the shadow of the castle. They walked up a flight of stone steps and crowded around the huge, oak front door. "Everyone here? You there, still got yer toad?" Hagrid raised a gigantic fist and knocked three times on the castle door.

The door swung open at once. A tall, black-haired witch in emerald green robes stood there. She had a very stern face and Artemis already knew that this was the head of Gryffindor, Minerva McGonagall.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." She pulled the door wide. The entrance hall was so big you could fit Artemis and her uncle's apartment in it twice. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors. They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. Artemis and her friends as well as the rest of the first years could hear the drone of hundreds of voices from a doorway to the right — the rest of the school must already be here — but Professor McGonagall showed the first years into a small, empty chamber off the hall.

They crowded in, standing rather closer together than they would usually have done, peering about nervously. "Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your Houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your House will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your House, sleep in your House dormitory, and spend free time in your House common room. The four Houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each House has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your House points, while any rule-breaking will lose House points. At the end of the year, the House with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever House becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

Her eyes lingered for a moment on Neville's cloak, which was fastened under his left ear, and on Ron's smudged nose and then on Artemis pocket which the young girl seemed to be moving something around in as her hand was in there and something in the pocket was moving, what the woman didn't know was that the girl was trying to keep her pet niffler from crawling out and going amongst the students to try and find something to steal, the girl figured that she was just going to get caught so she let him go, knowing that he would find his way back to him soon.

McGonagall also eyes the girl when she noticed the infamous long curly black locks and dark brown hair, she was sure that the young girl was Artemis Black and she didn't know what to think, would she end up in Slytherin like the large majority of her family or Gryffindor like her father, she didn't know much about the girl, maybe a Ravenclaw or a Hufflepuff.

"I shall return when we are ready for you," said Professor McGonagall as she tried to draw her eyes away from the young girl, but by now, everyone had turned to look at the young girl, confused on why she had attracted the woman's attention. "Please wait quietly." She left the chamber.

Artemis swallowed and her cheeks went red at all of the attention

"stop gawking at her like hungry vultures, mind your own bloody business" Octavia scolded and Artemis gave her a thankful look.

"How exactly do they sort us into Houses?" Adira asked the girls next to her.

"Some sort of test, that's what my sister told me anyways, she graduated 2 years ago." Ophelia said to her

Remus wouldn't tell her how they were sorted, he said it was all apart of the surprise. She looked around anxiously and saw that everyone else looked terrified, too. No one was talking much except for a girl with bushy brown hair, who was whispering very fast about all the spells she'd learned and wondering which one she'd need. Artemis recognised all of the spells that the girl was talking about and was glad she wasn't the only one who was a book worm. Most people in the room kept their eyes fixed on the door. Any second now, Professor McGonagall would come back and lead them to the great hall where they would be sorted. Suddenly, something happened that made a bunch of the students, jump about a foot in the air however, Artemis didn't even flich. Adira was holding her hand to her heart, looking like she had just had a heart attack, Octavia and Ophelia looked shocked but quickly tried to brush it off— several people behind them screamed.

"What the hell?" Adira gasped. So did the people around her. About twenty ghosts had just streamed through the back wall. Pearly-white and slightly transparent, they glided across the room talking to one another and hardly glancing at the first years. They seemed to be arguing. What looked like a fat little monk was saying: "Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance —"

"My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he's not really even a ghost — I say, what are you all doing here?" A ghost wearing a ruff and tights had suddenly noticed the first years. Nobody answered.

"New students!" said the Fat Friar, smiling around at them and Artemis couldn't help but smile back. "About to be Sorted, I suppose?" A few people nodded mutely. "Hope to see you in Hufflepuff!" said the Friar. "My old House, you know."