Owl Post

Harry and Ron sat down across from Artemis, Fred and George and had given the girl confused looks but then smiled, they had gotten close over the week, especially with her helping them out so much with their school work and getting them out of trouble, Harry had always been fond of her and it didn't take Ron very long to warm up to her

"Hey harry, hey Ron" the girl says with a kind smile

"hey Artemis" Harry said and smiled widely at her

"Hey Artemis, not to be rude, but why are you sitting at the Gryffindor table?" Ron asked in confusion and then noticed how she was squished between the two twins "don't let them get you into any trouble, they get at least 20 letters each sent home a term because of the pranks they pull at school, you should have seen mum last Christmas, when she found out that they were exploding the toilets in 2nd floor bathroom, I swear she was about to pass out from how red she went"

Artemis laughed and then suddenly the sound of wings flapping, and loud hoots filled the great hall, owls flew in from all directions, swarming around and dropping mail off to their owners. Artemis hadn't expected anything but a pure black owl with blue eyes flew down and landed in front of her with a letter attached to its foot and a bag full of what she assumed to be chocolates.

"hey pretty birdie" she muttered out and pat the owl affectionately and it buried its head further into her hand. Fred watched the girl with a small smile on his lip, he knew she was two years younger than him but by god, was she beautiful and she was kind too, but she wasn't boring, she was fun and liked to prank 'oh Freddie, what are you getting yourself into?' he couldn't help but ask himself

Artemis untied the things from the owls feet and put some toast in front of the owl for him to eat while she quickly opened the letter

Dear Artemis,

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond but as you know, I was a little bit preoccupied this week... anyways, how has your first week been? What house did you get sorted into? Gryffindor I hope, just kidding, I'd be proud no matter what house you get sorted into, even if it is the snakes, quite the cunning little thing you are, though quite brave too, and loyal, also very intelligent, i feel like the sorting hat. Anyways, how are people treating you, have you made many friends yet, I hope people aren't being too harsh on you. Remember to stay out of too much trouble.

I knew this week has probably been hard for you, so I sent you some chocolate. Oh, and I know you said you didn't need an owl but... I may or may not have one this fella in the raffle three days ago, you know that one down at the post that I participate in sometimes? Anyways, he's all yours, write back to me soon, I miss you.

Love always,

Remus

Artemis grinned widely at the bird ruffled its feathers "im going to call you... Kol, is that alright?" she says with a giant grin, having fallen in love with the bird already. She would write back to Remus later, probably that night when the others were asleep, she was more of a night person. The owl hooted happily and Artemis grinned "he likes it" she says and turns to grin at Fred who was already grinning down at her

"Who got you the owl?" Fred asked with a smile lingering on his face, "he's a bloody beauty, must have cost a bit"

"My uncle, remus, he won him in a raffle" Artemis says and then the owls all fly off, including Kol to go back to the astronomy tower. Artemis looked across the table and saw that Harry had gotten a letter too

"Come on guys, we have to get to our first class, we have potions with Snape" Artemis says with a sigh, not really looking forward to it, she loved potions, the teacher on the other hand, was not exactly in her good books

Artemis was sitting at a table with Octavia, Adira and Ophelia while Ron, Hermoine and Harry sat in front of them. Artemis knew a lot about potions and she didn't speak back or call out to the professor but even though she had done nothing wrong, the Potions lesson turned out to be the worst thing that had happened to her so far and she knew that Harry would probably be saying the same thing because for some reason, the professor had chosen those two students as targets and he wanted nothing more than to yell at them and embarrass them. Artemis knew why snape had hated her so much, it was because of her father and his friends, she knew that Professor Snape hadn't just disliked her, Snape didn't dislike Artemis — he hated her, and he hated Harry Potter, and she was sure that it was because his father as well.

Artemis and Harrys fathers had been best friends, they were the closest out of their friendship group and by far the most troublesome, and they weren't exactly what you would call nice to Snape when they had went to school together. In fact, her father had done a prank that could have killed the greasy haired man, though harry's father had saved him.

Potions lessons took place down in one of the dungeons. It was colder there than up in the main castle, and would have been quite creepy enough without the pickled animals floating in glass jars all around the walls. Snape, like Flitwick, started the class by taking the roll call, and like Flitwick, he paused at both Artemis and Harry's name. "Ah, yes," he said softly, "Artemis Black. Looking to make the front page like your father?" "Harry Potter. Our new — celebrity."

Draco Malfoy and his friends Crabbe and Goyle sniggered behind their hands and people had already began to talk about the girl again. Snape finished calling the names and looked up at the class.

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making," Snape began. He spoke in barely more than a whisper, but they caught every word — like Professor McGonagall, Snape had the gift of keeping a class silent without effort, nobody in this room wanted to end up on this mans bad side and they weren't going to give him any reason to hate them. "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." More silence followed this little speech.

All four girls had exchanged looks but none of them said anything, this man was an ass and Artemis could see why her father and his friends had hated him so much, he was cold like the black lake and cruel like the intentions of the forbidden forest.

Hermione Granger was on the edge of her seat and looked desperate to start proving that she wasn't a dunderhead, though while Artemis knew the answers to each question the man had asked, she knew that there was no point straining her muscles for a man who wished only to humiliate and annoy her.