xxiv

cynthia's pov

i finished taping the last box shut and took a few steps back to take a look at my apartment. everything had been taken down from the walls and placed into various boxes. all of my books and art supplies were in a large box sitting by the door.

the apartment that i had created my first memories of florida in would soon be empty. i felt a pang in my heart as i began lifting up some of the boxes and placing them on the cart one or the hotel workers had graciously lended to me. april and stokeley were in my bedroom taking boxes from there and moving them to my living room. jahseh and coolie were over at his apartment and ming was down at the bottom of the apartment complex with the moving van.

i loaded up as many boxes as possible onto the cart and struggled as i pushed it out of my room. coolie was in the hallway and saw me struggling. he gently grabbed it and helped me push it though my door.

"thanks," i said.

"no problem, lil one," he said, laughing a little.

i headed back into my apartment. april and stokeley were carrying out boxed. the both smiled at me when i walked in and i gave them a half smile. i knew i should have been happy that i was leaving this shitty place and moving into an actual house with a group of people i cherished. i still felt guilty about dropping out and picking everything up with a boy who abused substances and toured the country.

i pushed all of my guilt to the back pf my mind as i picked up a few more boxes and carried them out to the hallway. i had gotten rid of most of my items; jahseh had assured me that we wouldn't need them. they were old anyways.

jahseh stepped put of his room with coolie trailing behind him. he had his own cart of things. he pushed it next to mine and walked over to me, embracing me in a hug. i breathed in his scent; cologne and cigarettes. i never thought would be so comforting but it relaxed me. he placed a light kiss on the top of my head and let go of me.

"you good?" he asked me.

"yeah, this is just a lot, ya know?" i said.

"we're all doing it together. it's okay cynthia," he assured me. i simply nodded and took a deep breath. stokeley and april walked out of my room with two boxes and announced that there were none left in my apartment. i pushed my cart while jahseh pushed his. we all got into the elevator and hit the button for the ground floor. i watched as the floor numbers dropped; silently saying goodbye to the apartment i had spent the last 6 months in. and especially apartment 17.

we packed the boxes into the van in silence and crawled into the seats. i sat next to jahseh, his body pressed up against mine tightly. he held my hand the entire time as we headed to our new home.

"thank you for doing this with me," he said quietly as the others conversed between each other.

"you don't need to thank me, jah," i replied.

"no for real. you've changed me so much for the better so i'm really glad you're going to be with me now," he said,moving a stray piece of hair out of my face. i smiled and laid my head on his shoulder. within a matter of minutes we had arrived at the place i would now consider my home.

———————————————

we all managed to bring belongings into the building. i walked into the building and my breath was immediately taken away. i had stepped a foot into a rather large loft. the aide of what i assumed was the living room was glass that overlooked the city. the kitchen was attached to the living room and had an open floor plan. i walked slowly into the room, my footsteps making noise along the hard wood floor.

"what you think?" jahseh asked from behind me. the boys were slowly placing boxes in the appropriate rooms.

"jahseh i- this is amazing..." i told him.

"i knew you would like it," he said, wrapping his arms around my waist. i turned around in his arms and leaned up, placing a light kiss on his lips. i heard ming cough from behind jahseh and saw him glaring at us.

"i'm all for this lovey dovey shit but there is like a hundred boxes that need to be moved," jahseh huffed and flipped him off before leaving to go grab boxes. i followed him out and began picking up a few of the smaller boxes. this was going to be a long process...

——————————————

april, the boys, and i sat around on the rug we had placed in the center of the living room. stokeley has insisted that we relax and smoke some of the weed he had brought because we had "worked so hard". no one seemed to go against his proposition.

i was leaning up against jahseh as he inhaled on the blunt. he slowly exhaled the smoke and held the blunt in front of my lips. i lightly inhaled and exhaled, smiling up at hun. he smirked at me as he passed the blunt to coolie. i heard jahseh yawn as he rubbed his face.

"you tired, jah?" i asked him, quietly.

" kinda," he replied.

"wanna go to bed?" i asked.

"yeah come on," he answered. i got up from the floor and grabbed his hand, leading him to the bedroom.

"goodnight y'all," i said, looking back.

"y'all better keep. we don't wanna hear that shit," coolie yelled. jahseh giggled behind me, obviously too tired to care about his friend's comment. i walked in and jahseh quickly jumped on the bed.

"i'm finna change," i mumbled.

"ight," jahseh said, placing his hand over his eyes.

"you're adorable but you don't have to cover your eyes jahseh," i told him. he ignored me and kept his eyes covered. i rooted through a box of t shirts and found an oversized one. i got undressed and slipped on the t shirt. it was practically like a dress; it was probably jahseh's. i sat down on the bed, causing jahseh to reveal his face again.

"i think i'm dead. i'm so tired," he mumbled.

"you seem pretty alive to me," i laughed. "come on, get ready for bed. i'm tired," i told him.

"i don't think i can get my pants off cynthia, they are literally cutting the circulation off," he sighed. i huffed and stood up.

"you gon have to try and help me jah," i sighed. he smirked at me.

"not like that, you whore. i wanna sleep," i said, cracking a slight smile at hum. he unbuttoned his jeans and i helped him wiggle his legs out of them. once he had finally been freed from the death trap that are skinny jeans, he climbed under the covers we had sloppily thrown on when we had set up the bed earlier. i climbed under with him and he scooted closer to me. he placed a light kiss in my forehead and said goodnight before he almost instantly fell asleep. it took me a little while to fall asleep; i couldn't stop thinking about how fast my life had changed. but once i fell asleep, it was one good sleep.