ii

i woke up the next morning around 10:00 feeling quite satisfied with myself when i realized that i didn't have any classes today. i sat up in my bed, stretched, and decided to change into something more comfortable. i forgot to change last night. i walked over to my dresser and decided to just wear an oversized blue t shirt. i removed yesterday's clothes from my body and walked to my bathroom for a quick shower.

after my shower, i wrapped the towel around my body and brushed my teeth. i looked at myself in the mirror, the mess of curly brown hair that sat on my head look practically like a birds nest. i had dark circles under my eyes and i had visibly lost weight since i had moved into this apartment. i finished up with brushing my teeth and walked back to my bedroom. i put on a fresh pair of underwear and a matching bra and then proceeded to slip on the t shirt. i grabbed a pair of knee high socks and slipped them on. i admired myself in the mirror one final time before walking downstairs to my kitchen.

i decided on making some jasmine tea and some toast. i popped the bread into the toaster and began to boil some water for my tea. just as i went to grab the tea bag, i heard someone knock on my door.

"um, who's there?"

no one answered. they probably didn't hear me. i huffed and jogged over to the door, unlocking it. i opened it up to reveal the boy from apartment 17.

"oh, um, wassup?"

he looked me up and down, smirking. dammit, why did i wear this, i thought to myself. i consciously hid behind the door a little.

"do you need something?" i questioned with a bit of attitude

"oh yeah, um see what had happened was i got really drunk last night and kinda woke up on a park bench outside. i'm locked out of my apartment." he rubbed his face and sighed, looking at me disappointed.

i wasn't sure what to do. do i let this stranger in? i don't even know him, what if this is a trick? i looked at him again and before i could even think properly i opened the door wider and let him in.

"thanks." he smiled ay me and sat down on my gray sofa.

"make yourself at home, i guess. i'm going to go put on some proper pants on. i'll be down in a sec." he hummed in response as i jogged up the stairs to my room. i slipped on some shorts and ran back down the steps. he had moved from his spot on the sofa to the kitchen. he was taking my pot of water off the stove.

"it was boiling, i got it for you."

"oh, thanks. do you want some?" i asked him quietly. i hadn't expected him to be this "domestic". after last night, i wasn't sure how i felt about him, especially since it wasn't first time even speaking to him. shit, i still don't know the boy's name.

"nah, i'm more of a hard liquor guy. you know tequila type shit," he smiled and laughed a tiny bit

"so i saw last night" i laughed with him while grabbing my mug and making my tea.

"so, mamas, what's your name?"

i got a weird feeling in my stomach when he called me "mamas", "cynthia, you?"

"jahseh, but all the bitches call me yung dagger dick," he looked quite smug after that one. this boy was really something.

"ill stick with jahseh." i replied, rolling my eyes. if he thought he could wrap me around his finger that easily, he got another thing coming. sure, he was attractive, but i'm not like that.

"have it your way, shawty" he responded coolly. i sipped my tea and he left the table to go sit back on the sofa. i followed him over and sat at the other end. i curled my legs up under my body and peered over at him; he was looking at his phone.

"so, jahseh, what do you do? do you go to college?" i was trying to start conversation; this awkward silence was killing me. he perked up and quickly shut off his phone.

"i'm in a group called Members Only. you should check us out." he seemed genuinely excited to tell me this. " what about you?" he asked.

"i'm a student at FAMU. i'm currently studying journalism but i'm not really into it to be completely honest. i'm much more into music." i sighed. his phone began to ring and he pouted at me before answering it. i sipped my tea and watched him as he talked on the phone

"yeah i got locked out last might...i woke up on a park bench bruh, what the fuck do you think?...ok, i'll head over now. see you soon. " he hung up the phone and stood up. i stood with him.

"i gotta go, thanks for letting me in your apartment. you should let me in more often." he said as he winked at me. i walked over to the door and unlocked it, holding it open for him.

"try not to pass out on any more park benches, ok?"

he laughed, "i'll try." he walked over to the door. i felt his hand gaze across my arm and just like that, he had left my apartment. i shut the door behind hum and leaned my back against the door. i let out a breath i didn't realize i was holding.