Chapter 2 "Cornerstore walks, Barbershop talks"

Summer of 2014
(Yara and Kentrell would be 14 at this time)
......................................................................................

Yara and Kentrell grew closer in their friendship each summer that Yara visited. Even when she would return home they still called each other and texted. Kentrell slowly started to open up to her about his relationship with his mom and dad and how that took a toll on him. Yara was slowly starting to understand him and why he acts the way he does. 'He's just misunderstood' she thought. She liked being around Kentrell. She knew he puts up this tough boy act but she sees right through it. All he needed was a little love and comfort and she was happy to provide that to him because she truly cares for him. Kentrell was happy that he could confide in her.

It was around 10 am and Yara was just now waking up with her curly hair matted. She cursed to herself because she couldn't understand how her bonnet always makes its way from around her head. She slowly got up stretching while making her way to the bathroom. She grabbed her toothbrush while applying toothpaste and started brushing her teeth while staring at herself in the mirror. She made a mental note to call her mom, because she knew she would have a fit if she didn't.

Now done brushing her teeth, she grabbed her towel from behind the door a long with her loofa and started the shower water. She scrubbed every inch of her body with vanilla scented soap. She mentally thanked her mom for packing it in her suitcase along with other perfumes because this was her only way of escaping that mothball smell. Yara laughed to herself and stopped the water getting out of the shower, wrapping her towel around her small frame.
Yara called her mom catching up. She really missed her. They had a long conversation before her mom had to hang up and  head to work.

Yara quickly got dressed in a tank top and shorts. She sighed knowing the sun would be blazing today and everyday. Isn't it always in Louisiana? She took her brush with her curling cream and applied it to her hair. Yara had chest length curly 4c hair. She wishes her mom was here to braid it up, because she can't stand it being in her face. She then just decided a nice top knot bun would have to suffice. As soon as she put the brush down on the counter she heard a loud knock on her door. She started making her way to the door and yelled "WHO IS IT" and heard "KNEE SCRAPER" from the other side of the door. Yara rolled her eyes and opened the door to be met with Kentrell's face.

"You think you funny huh?" Yara asked

"You can't lie that was funny". Kentrell laughed looking at Yara's unamused face

"Ha Ha but what you doing here?" Yara asked

"Ion know just wanted to know if you wanted to come to the corner store wit me then we can head to the barbershop cus I need a cut." Kentrell said while scratching his dry ass head.

"Yea you sure do need that cut dents. But I think that safari hair need some water way more." Yara said while laughing

"Smcht, you always playing. You coming or not?"

"Yeah I'll come if you paying for my snacks."

"Fasho come on."

Kentrell had little money, but when it came to Yara he didn't care.

They started walking down the street. Yara took in her surroundings. The cardboard on the sidewalk, burned out cigarettes and other trash. She thought about life in the future wondering if she would be successful to provide a better lifestyle for not only herself but for her grandmother.

"One day ima make it out of here" Kentrell said out loud seeming to read Yara's thoughts

"What you wanna be when you grow up?" Yara asked