Chapter 1 "Friends"

Once they were in the house, Yara sat on the couch while  Ms. Alice propped her leg up on a pillow. Kentrell just stood in the corner watching them with a blank expression on his face.

"What's ya name babeh?" Ms. Alice asked.

"Yara."

"Yara. Oh you must be Annamae's grandbaby huh. You staying two houses down, right?" Miss Alice asked as she applied alcohol on the cut.

"Y-Yes. That's my grandma. I'm staying the whole summer." Yara winced from the alcohol.

"Well that's my hard headed ass grandbaby Kentrell. Kentrell gone apologies to Yara. Yo hard headed ass always doing sum." she mugged the boy in the corner.

"Sorry." He said with a blank expression.

Looking at his face Yara just then realized the dents on his forehead. She didn't want to stare so she returned her attention back to her knee.

"Boa, go get me a band-aid from the cabinet while you just standing ova thea." Miss alice said

Without a word Kentrell walked away and moments later came back with the bandages. Handing them to his grandma he left out the door going back outside without a word.

"I'm sorry about him babeh. He just don't know how to express himself the way he wants to." Miss Alice said while applying the bandaid on Yara's knee.

"It's fine. I sprayed water right back in his face. That sure made him express some anger towards me." Yara said standing up from the couch.

"I like how you stood up fa ya self. You too should become friends. I think you'd be good for him." Miss Alice said smiling at Yara. One thing Yara noticed was her smile was warm.

"No offense Ms. Alice, but you're grandson is not someone I'd ever call friend." Yara said

"Mhm you say that now miss mamas. I'm sorry again. Oh! You wait right there hold on." Miss Alice said running into the kitchen. She came back with a cake on a platter with whip cream icing.

"This for ya grandmama. Tell her I said to stop bye and when she does, to remember to bring the Hennessy and backwoods."

"Okay I will, thanks again Miss Alice." Yara laughed

"Of course. And don't let these dirt neck luh boys run you out hea ya heard meh. Bye pretty Yara." Ms. Alice smiled

"I don't plan to. Bye Ms. Alice." Yara returned the smile leaving out the door. She started walking down the porch until she stopped seeing Kentrell sitting on the sidewalk. As he saw her leaving out the house he immediately stood up. She looked at him and rolled her eyes attempting to avoid him by continuing walking.

"Wait." he said

"Yes?" Yara asked while rolling her eyes

"I'm sorry." he said trying to avoid eye contact

"For?" she asked

"Mane is you gone accept my apology or what?" Kentrell asked getting irritated. He never met no one who stood up for themselves like Yara did to him. He was intrigued by her but would never admit it, to her or himself.