Chapter 5 " Redemption"

6 months later.... Summer of 2017

                             Kentrell POV. 💚

      It's been six months since I got jammed up. Today a nigga was getting released early on good behavior but I'm still on probation. But shit, that's better then being in this shithole for another six months.

During my time being locked up, I took the time to really reflect on my life choices. I asked myself how I got here and it was because I lost faith. I started talking to God again everyday and writing in my notepad. Being in Juvie, it ain't a lotta shit to do so writing was my sanctuary. I wrote a lot of songs during my time here and it really had me feeling like my old self when I had my dream of being successful.

I grabbed my belongings walking out this bitch. A nigga was happy as fuck to not see the same four walls. As I was walking out the gate I heard a familiar voice.

"MY BRUDA. MY BRUDDA!" 3three yelled

I smiled mad hard, I missed my niggas mane.  Kd, Boomer, 3three was all here and Montana and Ben soon pulled up in a white Mercedes making me geeked.

"You know what the fuck up wit me mane, they can't hold a young nigga down. It's only up from here." I smiled dapping up Ben and Montana.

All the love I was receiving just made me want to go harder. I had to better myself and get on my shit.

"A nigga done got swole in the pen." Boomer said seeing my more muscular physique

"Yea a nigga been doing nun but push-ups and sit ups. Don't wanna hear nun bout me being chicken bone legged no more." I laughed

'Chicken bone legged'

I couldn't help but think of Yara and how she would call me that. A nigga done fucked up. Pushing her away was my biggest regret. Not a day that went by in that cell when I didn't think about her. I wanted to call but I felt too ashamed. I hope one day she'll forgive me, because my love run deep for that girl.

After catching up wit the gang we all hopped in the whip and rode to get sum to eat. A nigga was tired of that trash ass jail food. After we ate, first place I visited was my grandma's grave. I had to talk to her about my salvation and my new life choices to better myself. After I left, I went to my house.

Sheronda, my momma was standing on the front porch with her arms crossed. I just stood there confused on what to do. She opened up her arms and said, "Boy get ya ass over here and give ya momma a hug." I laughed and walked up to her giving her a hug. Even though our relationship is not yo typical mother and son relationship, she was still my mother and I love her.

I walked in the house and Kendell ran up, engulfing me in a hug. "Big brudda out the pen! It's lit!" He said making me laugh

"You know what is wit me youngin, can't keep me away from you for too long." I said holding him tighter. I would never say it out loud but I needed this hug from brother he one of the people that kept me going in there.

"Where Teelee at?" I asked

"She out getting the food momma told her to get. She should be here soon." he said

I nodded. I headed up the steps in need of a shower. Finally can take a shower without being surrounded by a whole bunch of niggas. Soon as the water touched my skin, I felt at peace. Made me think of her. I shook them thoughts from my head and scrubbed my body down. I turned the water off and got dressed in a sweatsuit with some slides. I was walking down the steps when my momma was there at the bottom step waiting for me. She handed me a stack of mail.

I took the mail and sat on the couch going through it. As I read every piece one letter caught my eye. It was dated from 5 months ago, one month before I got locked up. I opened the letter and started reading it.

   I wish I could say this is person, but I'm leaving next month. And I'm not going to be here for the upcoming summers. I know you don't want to talk to me, but all I ask it that you refrain from self destructing. That hardbody act ain't fooling nobody DeSean. I see right through you, and I see a beautiful soul who goes hard for the people around him. I see someone with dreams and ambitions that he needs to carry out. Please don't give up on your dream. Don't let it go to waste, you have it in you. I'm proud of you. And I'm proud of the man you're becoming and how every summer I get to witness it. Ms. Alice is smiling down on you. Thrive. Turn the negatives into a positive. And when you do perfect your craft...be sure to be all in. I love you Kentrell.

                                    With love,
                                                       Yara.

I kept reading the letter over and over again. Yara is the face I wanted to see when that gate opened. I miss her everyday. I fucked up bad. I pushed her away and I can't seem to forgive myself for that shit. I do ashamed of how I treated her that I afraid to face her. And I made her seem like she was the problem when really it was me. I ain't never felt this way about a female before. Never even got to tell her I love her because of my pride. That shit fucking my mental up. I need to see her, talk to her and apologize. But last time I checked she changed her number when she moved with her father in New York.

This letter was the motivation I needed to keep going, it just made me want to go even harder. I decided I would upload that song I made before I went in. I still got some money from the street shit I was in, Ima use it for more studio time. It's time for me to hit the booth again.

I went upstairs and opened my sisters laptop seeing my song still downloaded on there. I hovered over the upload button with the mouse. Fuck it. I pressed upload now seeing it posted on my YouTube channel. The song was called "Untouchable". I wrote it before I got locked up. I sighed feeling a weight lift off my shoulders.

I heard the door slam close as I made my way back down the steps. Teelee walked it with trays of lemon pepper wings with other snacks and drinks. She came up and hugged me as we started conversation catching up. I missed her big headed ass.

The gang soon came after, and we all spent the day just catching up, eating, playing Uno, and laughing and joking like old times. It felt great to be home. It's only up from here.

-Couple weeks later-

    My song blew up in weeks. I've been hitting the studio almost daily recording new songs that I wrote in my notebook. People was starting to know me off my song "Untouchable". I was feeling like that nigga for real. I was dropping songs more frequently and my fan base was loving it. People knew me as Kentrell before but now I was known as Youngboy Never Broke Again. I felt like that was the perfect name to show who I am and what I say through my music. Me and the gang made 'Never Broke Again' a brand. But Yara and me made "Never Broke Again"a promise all those years ago. My song was playing on the radio mane this shit is crazy. My other songs started blowing up too and I've been starting to get booked for shows. When I said it was only up from here, I meant that. Never Broke Again.

———————————————————————————

So it looks like Kentrell lived up to "Never Broke Again". But is he taking Yara with him or leaving her behind?

Don't forget to comment and vote! 💕