Chapter 3 "Reassurance"

October 20, 2016
Kentrell's 16th Birthday
......................................................................................

Today was Kentrell's birthday. To him it only seemed like a regular day so he wasn't as excited as expected. It wasn't summer anymore and he couldn't  help but to miss Yara. To him Yara was his escape from his home life, mostly his strained relationship with his mom. He hopped out of bed walking past his sister's Teelee's room seeing as she was still sleep in bed. He walked in the bathroom and took a leek, washed his hands and started brushing his teeth. The house was quiet so he knew his mom had left for work already. He walked back in his room and started getting dressed in a polo shirt some jeans and his signature white air forces. He walked down the steps while typing away on his phone replying to the happy birthday messages. He was so into his phone, that when he looked up he saw Yara, Kendell and the gang all in the kitchen smiling while saying "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Kentrell smiled when he saw Yara. He was confused on how she was here since it wasn't summer anymore. But he didn't spend anytime thinking on it as he picked her up hugging her.

"Mane what da fuck, what y'all doing here. What you doing here Chanel?" Kentrell said calling Yara by her middle name. It was something they grew into and she as well called him his middle same "DeSean".

"I came here to surprise you. You didn't think I was gonna miss your birthday did you?" Yara asked while smiling handing Kentrell his gift

Kentrell looked at her confused. He looked down at the blue and green box Yara placed in his hands. He then started to open it.

"I remember our talk about the future like it was yesterday. You told me that you just needed a chance. Well consider this it. I believe in you and your craft. And I know you will be successful Kentrell. So every time I returned home for the new school year I saved up my money so you'll get your studio time... so you'll be able to finally get your chance." Yara said smiling as he opened the box revealing money piled together in a rubber band, his favorite snacks, and pictures of the both of them. He smiled at one of the pictures of them 4 years ago in front of the Chippewa sign, with his arm around her while the other propped up on his bike handle. Both of them smiling while the sun beamed down on their faces.

Kentrell tried so hard to suppress his tears. He NEVER cries cus he felt it showed weakness. He blinked back his tears. He never had someone believe in him or even cared for him who wasn't his grandma. Yara never failed to make him happy and she never asked for anything in return. He knew in this moment that he loved Yara. Her love for him was pure and genuine as she only ever wanted the best for him. She wanted to see him grow mentally and get that chance at being successful and overcoming his environment. She wanted him to pursue his dreams.

Kentrell immediately put the box down and hugged Yara for what felt like forever while repeatedly saying "Thank you" to her. He couldn't contain his happiness. This was by far the best birthday he ever had and it was all because of Yara.

"Aight now I c-can't breathe." Yara said laughing at how tight he was hugging her

Kentrell let go but not before kissing her on her forehead and smiling down at her. Yara blushed looking away not being able to hold eye contact. He continued to smile at her until Ben interrupted his trance.

"Yo Yara you a real one. If you looking for another bestfriend you know I'm always available." Ben said causing Yara to laugh

"Hell nah. She all mine." Kentrell smiled as he wrapped his arm around her making Yara smile

"Trell what we waiting for let's hit the studio. I know you got some rhymes in that notebook you be keeping at the hip." 3Three said as he was munching on the skittles Yara bought Kentrell