47: Make It Right

"You're still not gonna talk to me?"

Gianna remained silent. Devonte sighed and focused his attention back on the road. She'd only been normal with him when they were with his mom, other than that she was  quiet and never even attempted to exchange any words with him. Call it petty but she wanted to prove her point and now that his mom had said the same thing as she did, she was hoping that it would make him actually action something. 

Not too long after that he pulled up to her apartment building and parked up. Gianna went to open the door but Devonte was quick to press the button, locking all the doors from the inside. She huffed in frustration and slumped down in her seat. 

"I'm going to make this right baby. Give me until tomorrow and I promise you that things will be back to normal."

She looked up at him and for a moment, Devonte was filled with hope. Maybe she was finally about to speak to him because the silence had been driving him crazy. It was too bad she wasn't ever going to let up that easy though. She lent across the middle console and reached over him, clicking the button which unlocked all the doors. Just as she'd opened her door to get out, Von grabbed her wrist and looked directly into her eyes. She pulled away immediately.

"I love you." He said with a sigh. "I'll see you later."

"I love you too Devonte."

She couldn't not say it, that would just be cruel. And besides, she didn't want him to leave that way. In the unlikely event that something happened to either of them their very last memory of each other would be the uncomfortable silence they'd shared - and that would be no way to remember someone.

Devonte smiled at that and watched his girl get out of his car and close the door before walking into her apartment complex. He waited for a few minutes before pulling off, heading straight for his house. He was more than determined to make things right again and have everyone back in one place. 

When he got back to his place, he walked into a storm - something he was definitely not expecting. His grandmother was yelling at Emery who was standing there looking frustrated and over whatever had transpired in the time that he was gone. It was taking everything in the woman for her not to snap. Devonte's grandma was pushing her last nerve.

"What the hell is going on here?!"

Grandma Hattie turned to face her grandson. "You need to fire this woman Devonte. She's entirely too slow and doesn't follow instructions that I specifically listed out for her. You need new staff around here! Competent people! Whatever happened to that Jessica? She was a beautiful young girl, smart, hard working and-"

"The complete wrong fit for my staff." He said seriously, cutting his grandmother off. "No offence grandma but all that has happened since I brought you around everyone is drama and it's not because of anyone else but you and frankly, I'm tired of it. I want my brother back at his home where he belongs, I want my girl to be comfortable being here as well and I want the people that work for me to be comfortable doing their jobs. Emery doesn't deserve this, no one does, so I made a decision. I want you to go upstairs and pack your suitcases."

"Don't you talk to me like that, respect your elders!"

"I'll respect you when you respect everyone else around me. Now go get your stuff, I won't say it again grandma."

Grandma Hattie looked at Devonte in disbelief. She was utterly shocked that her grandson had spoken to her in such a way. She scoffed and stormed upstairs as fast as she could. Emery sighed and looked at Devonte.

"That woman is a real piece of work. She's been bossing everyone around today and I'm tired of it."

"I'm sorry Em. I'm getting her out of here right now and for all that everyone's had to put up with, I'll be putting some bonuses in with the next paycheck. Let me go make sure she's actually doing as I said though."