9: Confessions

Two updates because I'm feeling generous today!

Elena, Constance, Alexis and Maria sat on either side of Gianna as she sat propped up in her hospital bed - where she'd been stuck for the last three days. Two bullets had struck her legs and one went into her stomach area. Devonte had been quick to act the day she got shot and it was only because of him that she had survived. If he hadn't gotten her to the hospital as fast as he did, she would've completely bled out. He too had been hit in the shoulder but it was only a graze, nothing serious. Of course he followed up on what happened - he had enemies all over the place and it could've been any one of them. He felt guilty about what happened because of the likelihood that it was one of those enemies who shot at Gianna and himself, so he made sure to visit her when he could and also send her flowers everyday. He even took care of any medical bills she had.

Gianna was in pain and a little shocked at what had occurred, but all she wanted to do was go home to rest comfortably. She had a feeling about who could've been the person to shoot her but wasn't entirely sure if he would be capable of that. Even then, her father did have enemies, but to counter that he'd always kept his daughter's name and identity private; that was classified information and the only people who knew her besides the few friends she'd made here in America were within the family or mafia (though many members had never seen her in real life).

Something that had surprised her was Devonte and his actions. She was astounded by how a perfect stranger, someone who really only knew her as his cousin's friend could be so caring, especially from the person he seemed to be. She appreciated his gestures though and when he would come to visit her, she genuinely enjoyed that time - even when it was a short visit. He'd take time out of his days to come and talk to her a brighten her spirits and every morning since she'd been in the hospital, she'd received these big, beautiful flower arrangements.

"Girl you should've been there for our relieving professor today, lord that man was fine!" Maria exclaimed and dramatically fanned herself making all the others laugh.

"Get that easy A friend!"

"Lex don't encourage her." Constance giggled.

Three were suddenly a few knocks at the door which made the girls halt their laughing. Elena called for whoever it was to come in and soon someone that her and Gianna hadn't been expecting to see came strolling in, a mix of anger, hurt and sadness written all over his face. Gianna sat forward instantly.

"Papa! What are you doing here?"

He knew that she'd been shot and wasn't the least bit impressed about it all, but they hadn't expected Mateo to actually come to America.

"No daughter of mine gets shot and I not be there!"

"Papa I'm fine and-"

"Scusi, un informazione! (Excuse me, I need some information)." He snapped, his anger towards the situation getting the better of him. "Chi? Dove? (Who? Where?)"

Gianna avoided his eyes. "I don't know papa and it was in the parking lot."

"You were with someone?"

"Si-"

The door suddenly opened again and none other than Devonte walked in. Mateo's head snapped in that direction and his eyes widened when he saw who it was. He knew all to well who'd just walked into his daughter's hospital room. It was his enemy. An enemy that became his enemy through the boy's father Lucius. Devonte stared back and he was equally as surprised to see who stood in Gianna's room. He didn't understand but he was about to.