31: Finally Official

This chapter is dedicated to @rayrenmama26 ❤ thank you for your sweet message, it's much appreciated!

Mateo sat in his office chair looking at Gianna and Devonte who sat on the other side of his desk. He wasn't entirely happy with what had been expressed back at the rundown warehouse, but he wanted to have a proper conversation with the pair because he needed to know if they really were in love with each other. He was no stranger to love and knew just how much falling for someone could make you adjust things in your life and do things without much thought which was clearly what Gianna had done when she left the headquarters in Florence. Because of this he wasn't going to deny them of being together if that's what they wanted: if he did then his daughter was likely to hate him and he didn't want that, and more importantly, he only wanted his girl to be happy and if Devonte brought that to her then who was he to stop that? He didn't have to like the guy but maybe one day he'd grow to like him.

"So you love this boy mia bella (my beautiful)?"

"Yes papa. That's why I had to come back here."

Mateo nodded then looked at Devonte. "And you love my daughter?"

"Yes sir. It took me a while to realise it but I do, I love her very much and I intend to be with her."

"Let me speak with Gianna alone for a moment, then I will do the same with you."

Devonte nodded and stood to his feet before exiting the room. He wasn't mad at this process because it was simply Mateo looking out for his daughter and her best interest - something any father would do and as a man, he respected that.

Gianna remained in her seat as she stared at her father, hoping and praying that he'd accept Devonte and let them be together freely. If he didn't then she was certain she'd be with him anyway but her father's blessing would mean the absolute world because that would signify that he accepts the man that she's in love with.

"Gianna, as you grew up I had many fears about what your life would eventually look like. In this life it isn't easy and not everyone is accepting of the life we live. That's why I gave you a choice to be in the mafia life or not. Discretely I hoped you would say yes because I knew in my heart it would make things ten times easier for you, but when you said no, I couldn't help but be proud. You were going to take on the challenge and you were going to be the person that takes the reigns from me when I am no longer around. But with the proudness also came a sense of worry. You're a beautiful young woman with everything going for you, yet not all people are accepting of the mafia life. I know you've always wanted to fall in love and get married and have children, but I also know that it's hard to find a man that accepts everything that comes with you, which is why I always assumed you'd end up with one of my business partner's sons."

"Those sons of theirs are no where close to men." Gianna states truthfully making her father laugh.

"Mmmm, I saw that for myself when you brought one of them home. Definitely not the type of person I wanted for you but if you had decided that you wanted to be with him, then you should know I would've accepted it. At the end of the day it's your life and you make your own decisions. If that was the boy that makes you happy then who am I to prevent that from happening? Mia bella (my beautiful) all I've ever wanted for you is to be happy and be with someone because you love them. And in Devonte, you have that."

She squinted her eyes. "What are you trying to say?"

"If he makes you happy and he is the person that you love and want to be with, then I want you to do just that."

"So we can be together?"

"Of course."

Gianna sprang up from her chair and rushed around the desk. Mateo stood up just in time to catch her in his arms as she threw hers around him. They shared a warm father, daughter hug that was enough to make anyone tear up.