14: Work To Do

Gianna Romano

I yawned while waiting for my coffee machine to hurry up and produce my morning cup, the whole time listening to my father speaking to me about being careful about teaming up with Devonte and blah blah blah. Typical Mateo Romano lectures. Speaking of Devonte, he totally blew up my phone and Alexis' at six this morning and called an urgent meeting at eight. Forget that I didn't get home until one and then didn't sleep until two thirty because the girls wanted to know every little detail about my date with Antonio. Von didn't even let me speak, he practically barked the order into the phone and didn't give me nor Alexis a chance to appose such an outrageous meeting time.

"Papa you've said this to me a thousand times and I told you that I'm always careful. Plus Devonte is a good guy, there nothing to worry about, promessa (promise)."

He sighed. "Mi dispiace (I am sorry). I just can't help by worry about you after what happened mia bella (my beautiful) but I should realise I have nothing to worry about. You are smart and were trained with the best by the best."

"Exactly. I can handle myself, don't worry."

"Good. Now, what's this I hear about you going on a date last night?"

My heart stopped beating for a few seconds. Those fucking workers snitched on me! Ugh, I should've known.

"Papa-"

"Don't lie to me either Gianna Carlotta."

I huffed and rolled my eyes. "Si (yes) I went on a date last night."

"Who's the young man?"

"And what if it wasn't a man?" I mused.

I had to bite my lip to stop myself from busting out laughing. My father has no problem with same sex couples but I don't think he'd ever expect his own flesh and blood to swing that way, which I don't. I'm strictly dick-ly. Plus he expects me to eventually bare his grandchildren so that the Romano bloodline will continue to rule the Italian Mafia.

He let out a shaky breath. "Gia per favore (please)."

"Calm down, I'm joking." I giggled. "His name is Antonio and we go to school together, he's in one of my classes and is on the football team. He's a nice guy Papa, you'd like him."

"Mmmm. Is he your boyfriend?"

"No, we only went on that one date."

"Alright sweetheart. Well, if it does happen, make sure you call me so I can fly out and meet this boy and make sure he's good enough for my baby girl."

"Papa!"

"What?" He mused and I just knew he was smirking to himself. "You'll always be my little girl no matter what. But one thing..."

"What?"

"No babies or I'll have him castrated."

I shrieked. "Definitely not happening."

"Good. Anyway, I have to go now sweetie. Be safe. Ti voglio bene."

"Ti voglio bene Papa, bye."

The call ended and I slipped my phone into my pocket right as my cup finished filling up with my coffee. Letting out a breath of relief, I grabbed the cup and took a much needed sip. Literal heaven. Though I wish I could still be in bed sleeping right now. At that same moment Alexis walked in fully dressed, seemingly ready to go, though she looked tired as hell - you could just tell by looking at her face. Before I could even say anything she'd held up her hand making me laugh.

"Don't even say it cause I know."

"Here." I handed her my coffee. "You need it way more than I do."