20: Mothers

Gianna Romano

Emery led the way as I helped Devonte up to his room. Thank heavens he has an elevator in his home otherwise this would've been a mission. Some of the other staff were going to bring his bags up but my main focus for now was getting him situated so that I could clean and redress his wounds, then he could take some medicine and relax for the rest of the day. Emery made sure that I had everything I needed before exiting the room, leaving he and I alone.

I stood in front of him and he watched my every move as I slowly removed his shirt. I could feel his eyes on me the entire time which made me a little nervous and sent all these funny sensations down my spine. Once I'd gotten his shirt off, I helped him lay flat on his back on the bed before sitting on the edge next to him. All the while his eyes remained glued to me. I grabbed everything I needed off the bedside table and started the process of redressing his wounds.

"So tell me," he started, watching precisely what I was doing "where did you learn all this?"

"Well, when my mother died shortly after giving birth to me, my father needed someone to be there for me while he was gone. After all, he was still the boss. He hired Vittoria. She's pretty much to me what I assume Emery is to you. She became my motherly figure and she helped me keep in touch with my roots seeing as though she's half black like myself. She was a nurse before being hired by us and taught me everything I would possibly need to know."

"Damn, I ain't know all that. Sorry to hear about your mom."

I shrugged. "It honestly doesn't bother me much, though I do wish I'd gotten to meet her or at least be in her presence just one time. Vittoria helped me a lot though."

"I feel that. Not so much the same scale as you, but Emery is a second mom to me. I don't see mine very often nowadays but we speak on the phone here and there. Our relationship wasn't always strong, I was too close to my dad for that. She never wanted me on be in this life, more so after what happened to my dad. I think that's why she stays away." He sighed and scrunched up his face a little as I carefully applied alcohol to the wounds. "I can't blame the woman though, this shit took away the love of her life. No matter how rocky their relationship may have been at the time, I knew she was more than heartbroken."

"Wait..so you don't see her anymore?"

He shook his head. "Sometimes. She calls on birthdays and all that but it's never quite been the same since dad passed. Our grandma got sick last year and ma's been on Florida ever since. She loves us and we love her, that much is true."

My chest couldn't help but tighten. It hurts to know that someone has a whole mother, perfectly alive and well, yet they barely interact with her or even get to see her. I'm used to not having my mother in my life but I would do anything to see her and speak to her, even if it was just once. I want to know beyond what my father has told me. I want to feel the warmth of a mother's hug and have those petty little arguments - what I wouldn't give to experience it all. At least I know in my heart that she's in a better place and that I'll never walk this Earth alone. She's my guardian angel for sure.

I finished up cleaning and dressing Devonte's wounds before cleaning up my mess and discarding of the rubbish in the small bin next to his bed. Then I quickly grabbed the medication the doctors at the hospital had given us and made sure he took all the necessary pills - ones for pain and ones that would prevent any possible infection. He lay there and stared at me once again, but I watched as his eyes became heavy.

"You're tired?"

"A bit." He replied with a yawn.

"Get some sleep then."