38: More Discussions and Apologies

"Baby relax, she's going to be okay." Gianna said softly and placed her hand on Devonte's bouncing knee. "Nicolo is one of the best doctors my father has on his team. He won't let anything happen to her and I know he'll do everything in his power to make sure of that."

"You don't know that Gianna! She could be in there dying for all I fucking know!" He snapped.

Gianna stared at him in total shock and quickly blinked her eyes several times to stop the tears from falling. She was never one to cry when someone yelled at her, in fact she'd normally give it right back if it felt necessary, but something about Devonte getting mad with her hurt her deeply because she never wanted that to be the case. He'd been angry before but he'd never taken it out on her. This was a first and she didn't like it at all.

Devonte noticed her sudden silence before noticing the tears slowly welling up in her eyes. She'd also removed her hand from his knee. His heart sank. He didn't mean to snap on her at all. She's only trying to help lighten his level of stress.

"Baby I-"

He was cut off when she stood up all of a sudden and ran out of the room. She wasn't about to let him see her cry, not over this, and she certainly didn't want to see him at all in that moment. Why snap on the woman you love when she's simply trying to help you?

Devonte sighed and slumped down in his seat. Everything happening seemed to be getting too much now. First everything with Tony which has since been handled, then everything with Antonio, then Roman's passing and funeral, and how his mom shows up to his house drunk and high of God knows what before passing out completely. On top of all that he still has to handle his gang stuff.

"Mr Wilson?"

Devonte looked up to see the doctor Nicolo standing there with his clipboard.

"Call me Devonte."

"Excuse me, Devonte. You're mother is doing a lot better now. She's stable and awake but I did find traces of several illicit substances on top of excessive amounts of alcohol. She has a serious addiction sir and it needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Her body won't be able to handle much more, it seems she may have been doing things like this for a while."

"Fuck." Devonte sighed. "I'll take care of it. Can I see her?"

"Of course."

He stood up and walked into the room. His mom Dorothea was hooked up to an IV machine that was providing her body with essential fluids to help wash out all the substances within her body. Just by looking at her, he could tell she wasn't okay. She didn't look like the bright and happy woman he'd known her to be. This was not the mother he knew.

Dorothea looked at her son with tears in her eyes. She watched him walk to the chair beside her bed and sit down. He stared at the floor for several minutes before looking up and making eye contact with her.

"Mom I need you to tell me everything and I want the truth."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"This isn't you ma! I know this isn't you, you need to tell me everything so that I can get you the help that you need. This isn't the mom I remember. This isn't the mom Jordan and I grew up with. Please mom. I just want to get you the help that you need."

There was indeed a story as to why Dorothea was the way that she was now. There was a reason why she was hooked on drugs and used them combined with alcohol to numb her pain. It was a story that would sound absurd because of the kind of woman she normally is but it signifies one very important saying: love makes you do some crazy things. And it was love that certainly drove her down this pathway of destruction.