27: Breaking Down

I don't know if any of you would've guessed what's about to happen in this chapter...

Gianna Romano

I sat motionless on the floor of one of the offices, my thoughts consuming me as the memories replayed over and over in my mind. I don't know how I landed myself in this position but it's slowly eating away at me. I should've said no. I should've just admitted my feelings to Von from the jump. But how was I supposed to admit my feelings to a man who doesn't do relationships? I didn't want to be rejected. I've never felt this way about anyone before and all these feelings are so new to me. I thought getting with Antonio would make me forget my feelings for Devonte but it only made my situation worse because I ended up having feelings for both of them - one more than the other and that person wasn't the one I went on a date with.

Antonio seemed to be a great guy but we all know how that turned out now. It turns out that his name isn't even Antonio, that's just what he goes by. His real name is Raymond Harris and he is involved in one of the rival gangs of Devonte's and the mafia. I feel so stupid for even getting involved with him but at the end of the day, it's my fault for basically using him to try and bury my growing feelings for the man I simply considered a business partner that was once an enemy..though he probably still is to my father.

 I hate to admit it but I realised that I was really into Devonte while I was taking care of him. He and I got extremely close and even though he got on my nerves sometimes, I can't deny the bond we created.

"Are you feeling better now? No more pain?"

He nodded. "I'm good, thanks."

I'd woken up early this morning to Devonte calling my phone relentlessly. He was in pain and I could actually hear his faint grunts and groans from the guest room I had been assigned, not too fr down the hall. That caused me to rushed to his aid. I've been up with him since and for the last three hours I've been doing everything I can to get him comfortable and try to ease the pain. The doctors said things like this would be normal, especially because he has to get used to movement again, so we have to take things like this one step at a time.

We've been in the library for a little while now since it one of the few places in this house where Devonte doesn't get bothered. I guess because people don't expect him to be in here. Hell, I know I didn't expect him to be someone that likes to be in here. He doesn't seem like the kind of person who reads books, but that just makes that saying even more real: don't judge a book by its cover.

"I still can't believe you actually have read all of these."

He laughed and trailed his eyes over all the stocked shelves in the room. "There's a lot people don't know about me Gianna. Most just see a heartless, cold monster who kills people and sells weapons and drugs."

"That's not who you are though, you're so much more than that. It's an aspect of your life, yes, but that's not who you are."

"Even then, some people will never understand that."

"Well I do." I said and smile genuinely. "Now, how about you read me one these books?"

He chuckled but nodded his head. I already had my eyes set on one book in particular, so I grabbed it and handed it to him. He glanced down at the title and then trailed his eyes up to meet mine.

"Of all the horror, drama and action packed books in this entire room you set your heart on a romance novel?"

I shrugged. "It looks interesting, just read!"