10: Explanations

Gianna had been released from the hospital for two days. She'd been staying with her father in the mansion owned on the outskirts of town - it was the place he stayed whenever he came to New York, along with any other mafia members. She hadn't spoken with her father about the whole Devonte situation yet and was somewhat dreading it for a number of reasons. The one thing she was concerned about was how he would react to the words that were about to come out of her mouth. Mateo was likely to cut her off but Gianna knew she'd have to stand her ground and make him listen.

"Papa, mi dispiace (I am sorry). I didn't know Devonte was-"

"That boy is the enemy Gianna and-"

"Papa, ascoltare! (Listen)."

Mateo was surprised at his daughter's sudden raise in voice and she'd shocked herself too. She had never done so before and she didn't know what her father would do to her or how he'd react. Mateo on the other hand understood her frustration because she was the one who'd been shot and who'd had to deal with everything that came with it, on top of finding out that Devonte was his enemy. He needed to let her speak and get whatever she needed to off her chest.

"I-I'm sorry for yelling papa."

"Mia bella (my beautiful) don't apologise." He replied in a softer tone. "Talk to me sweetheart."

Gianna sighed. "Devonte saved my life and he did it out of the kindness of his heart. He was the one with me when it happened. Papa, without him I'd be dead right now."

"H-he did?"

Gianna nodded while staring right at her father who suddenly took a seat, clasping his hands together and resting his chin on top of them in thought. She hated talking about the fact that she could be dead right now, but it was the truth. Devonte had acted quickly and his actions were the reason why she was able to be sitting with her father today. Without him, the leader of the Italian Mafia would be planning a funeral right now.

"Look papa, I don't know what happened between you and Devonte's father but please, I beg you, let it go. He hasn't done anything to you, to us personally, right?"

Mateo sighed. "No sweetheart."

"Then please, let it go. I'm not asking because I think you're going to hurt him, I'm asking because I'm thinking about teaming up with him. Now before you saying anything because I know you will, this is strictly business between us. He and I are after the same people papa. You're always wanting me to be safe, Devonte is trained like I am and this is his territory. He knows the ins and outs of this place and if I am to succeed, you and I both know I need that. We only have so much power here but he has it all."

As much as Mateo didn't want to admit it, he knew what his daughter was saying was true - he did want her to be safe but when she wasn't on their territory, he could only do so much. Devonte was well trained and Mateo knew that because Lucius was the same, Devonte was even more deadly however. He wasn't into the idea of his daughter teaming up with an enemy or even letting the past go, but all he wanted was what was best and if Gianna thought that teaming up with Devonte was what was best for business then he was going to allow her to do as she pleased.

"Okay." He stated simply.

"Okay what?"

"I trust you sweetheart. Do what you have to do, you have my support."

"So I can work with Devonte?"

"Like I said, I trust you. I gave you permission to follow through with your plan and I don't go back on my word, so if you think that teaming up with that boy will help you execute your plan then you have my blessing. Just be safe and watch your back at all times."