Chapter 7

Upon returning to Whiterun, Ammra found Vilkas was waiting for her in Breezehome. The newly chosen Harbinger was planning to purify Kodlak's soul from the wolf spirit. When Miraak saw Vilkas again, a sudden agitation sparked inside his chest, making him start to make a list of whom to kill once his power returned.

Miraak just watched them discussing from the corner of the room in silence. "Legend says we need the Grenmoril Witch head to do this." he heard Vilkas explained. "We'll need to hunt them first."

"Don't bother. I have their heads already. Kodlak sent me secretly to gather some heads." Miraak caught Vilkas' eyes flashed in astonishment for a very brief second. Now he even hated the way that warrior looked at her. "When do you plan to do this?" she asked.

"Today," Vilkas said.

Miraak saw Ammra thinking. They are supposed to leave by now but Vilkas had made them delayed. At least that was how Miraak saw it. Before he could stop it, the words came out. "Dovahkiin," he called her. "Give him the head. We can continue our journey." she stared at him for a moment then turned to Vilkas.

"You are planning to leave again?" he asked her.

"Yes," Ammra said while she was still deep in thought. With each day passing, Miraak was getting his power back but she had not even started her project yet. "Kodlak, what should I do?" 

"She is in hurry," Miraak said. "If she doesn't, she will pay with her life."

Instantly Vilkas's face showed a clear sign of concern then looked at her, making the elder Dragonborn even more agitated. "What are you dealing with now, Ammra?"

Lydia's gentle and strict voice broke in. "My thane is thinking. Give her a moment, please."

After some moment of silence, Ammra finally spoke, "Lydia, please take her to Heljarchen Hall to meet Aleesan  and Gregor." She said to her then turned to Miraak. "It seems I have no choice but to postponed our journey." in that instant, he felt raging anger in his chest.

"Do whatever you want, little one. You know the price." He said sternly. 

"Yes, I clearly know. You get the upper hand." They spoke of something that neither Vilkas nor Lydia understood. "Stay with them and I believe you will...keep them safe. Right?"

He crossed his arms, too proud to admit he was unsatisfied. Miraak refused to answer. He just maintained his smug face. Ammra let out a heavy sigh and got to her feet. He noticed how Vilkas watching her as she drew nearer to where he stood. When they were face to face, Miraak caught a glimpse of resentment in Vilkas' eyes.

"Miraak." she spoke, half whispering. In a brief second, the Dragon Priest glanced at him then looked at Ammra, feeling an addicting sense of victory. He knew now that he got her attention. "Please, help me this time. I promise I will open one lock in your Magica Vein."

He just stared at her while giving Ammra the silent treatment. He saw how she asked and for some reason, he wanted to see her trying harder. "Or do you want me to open it now?" without hesitation, she landed her palm gently on his chest. The elder Dovahkiin was amused by how naive his captor was but admit that this was what he expected her to do. 

"Come to think of it," Vilkas suddenly spoke. "as long as we have the head, I think we can do it ourselves," Miraak could see it, the wolf was envious and he liked what he saw. "Leaving your family with that man is too much risk that you have to take in honoring the dead."

"I trust Miraak." her words rang in his head, bringing a soft sensation of pleasure. He did not expect Ammra would believe in him. They looked at each other. Ammra gave Miraak a pleading look which almost made him grin in satisfaction. "Tell me I can trust you, Miraak." she said faintly.