Spin-Off: Special Halloween

This is Halloween, when future might be seen

This is Halloween, when things are not like what they seem

Ammra never expected Vaernima's Torpor would give another effect. It had been a few days since she freed Dawnstar from the nightmare that plagued its people. In addition, Erandur said the Torpor only worked one time. But why did he enter someone else's memory now?

She found herself as a child who was walking down the road with a basket of treats. It was the effect of the Topor that made her say and do something she did not intend.  From her first experience, she learned that all she could do was watch.

The neighborhood she saw was of the earth—her origin planet. Besides herself, Ammra saw other kids in their Halloween costumes. They were coming door to door for the Trick-or-Treat moment.

The body she hosted continued walking until she coincidentally came across a boy who stood alone at the park. He was wearing the blood-red cape and vampiric teeth. In a single glance, Ammra noticed his empty basket.

"Hey," she called hesitantly—once again, this was not Ammra's doing. The boy turned to her. His bright blue eyes were a wonder she couldn't miss. "Why are you here all alone?"

He just shook his head and shied away. The host of her body continued talking. "The night is getting late. You need to hurry to collect the treats."

Again, he just looked down at his feet.

"Are you afraid to go alone?" she guessed. The boy slowly rose his face and nodded. Ammra felt the warmth of the boy's skin as the host grabbed him by the hand. "Let's go! We can do it together!" A wide smile adorned his face and he excitedly nodded.

They managed to visit several houses before the sun went down. Ammra even shared half of her treats for the boy. His thankful smile was the sweetest thing she received for the day.

"Hey, kid," the old man of the last house they visited called. "Why not try the old house at the edge of the grove?"

"But nobody lives there." Ammra chided. "It has been empty for years."

"Your choice." The old man smiled and resume his reading.

Their basket was still enough for more treats. At length, Ammra went to the old house with the boy. As they drew near, they could see a light in the front window. Perhaps someone moved in.

As the old iron gate creaked open, Ammra and the boy exchanged gaze. They knew they were nervous. At first, they were hesitant and stood still by the gate. Sure enough, there was a light—a candle on the indoor windowsill.

"Maybe...they just moved in...and the electricity isn't on yet..." Ammra chided, trying to be braver than she actually felt. She wanted to run back, but she thought of having more treats for them kept her going.