Chapter 24

Cover by: Adna Lhöz

I will make it short in this chapter ;)

As soon as he stepped in, Miraak saw the very memory that was abused by Mephala

As soon as he stepped in, Miraak saw the very memory that was abused by Mephala. His surrounding shifted into a room lit by dozens of candles. 

"No, please don't do this!" a sound of a woman begging for her life was heard.

"Father, no! Please don't hurt mother! Don't hurt us..."

Miraak turned around to see where it came from and found Ammra's mother lying on a stone table to which she was chained in both hands and legs. Ammra was in the same condition as her mother, however, the stone table she was lying on resembled an offering altar. 

"Darius, please let us go!" she cried again in fear and terror. 

The man remained silent as he stood next to her with a silver dagger ready in hand. In a brief second, he plunged the dagger to her chest. There was a roar of pain and cry for a moment. It became intense but slowly faded as he stabbed her a few times.

But among those noises, Miraak noticed how Ammra gasped in agony and terror as she was tortured by the sound of her mother being killed without being able to see her. He heard her muffled cry.  She trembled as her father walked closer then stood next to her.

"You are a fool to think we love you." his father spoke, staring at her but did not see. 

"Fa--father..." she couldn't speak out of fear. She eyed how his father clenched both hands on the hilt of the dagger and rose above her body. Ammra closed her eyes. "You lied to us..."

"I present this blood and flesh to you. This sacrifice will satisfy you, my Lord..." he spoke and without hesitation, he killed her. 

The memory ended as Miraak's consciousness returned to his body because Ammra managed to push him out of the memory trap. She immediately lost her power to stand on her feet and collapsed. Miraak quickly removed the engraved crystals from the pillars to deactivate the cage.

The elder Dragonborn felt it again as if something stung her chest as he saw her sorrow. He reached out, trying to help her but Ammra brushed it fiercely. Ammra force herself to stand up. She had always been inclusive. It alarmed her if anyone tried to step into her personal space. Having someone saw her terrible death was the last thing she wanted. But out of all people in Tamriel, it had to be Miraak who saw it, her temporary ally, her enemy. 

She was not sure to feel embarrassed or humiliated. The fact that he saw her when she was all over the place only worsened the insecurity she felt. 

"Do you really have to see it?!" she roared angrily. "Are you happy now seeing your enemy's terrible past?  If you want to laugh, go ahead!"

Miraak did not utter a single word but only pulled her closer and hugged her. Ammra struggled to release herself but her stamina was all gone. Eventually, she settled and cried. She hated to be seen in that state.

"It is fine now. They cannot harm you." He hugged her tighter, gently caressing her back.

"This is a bitter humiliation...why do you have to see it?" she roared with a muffled voice as she buried her face on his chest. "Why do you have to see it? Why?" she gripped her robe. "I am banished...I am not wanted. Why do you have to know this...."

Her beast-blood kept her adrenalin rushed but her Magica and stamina had been severely sucked out of her body. Normally she would lock herself alone in a room for days to recover and retreat from the world. But she couldn't do it now. 

The cold numbness began to creep in. Ammra really wished Akatosh never revived her.