Chapter 26

The next day she woke up, Ammra almost screamed and jolted when finding out Miraak was sleeping while holding her close."What have I done?!" she thought. "I am not supposed to be this close." Ammra attempted to free herself but Miraak held her tighter. 

"Judging from your force, I believe you have recovered," he spoke with his eyes remained shut.

"Um...yeah...I-think..." she tried to pull away. He sighed and pulled her closer instead.

"Be still for a while, little one." he hummed.

Ammra's face was burning red. Her thought obliged her to keep her distance but her body betrayed her as her fingers gingerly poking his chest. He was warm, cuddly—maybe—and tall. But most of all, she totally felt he was harmless.

Even if it seemed Ammra hadn't made up her decision yet in reciprocating his affection, it did not stop Miraak from doing what he thought necessary for her well-being. He became more attentive especially after finding out she had not completely recovered.

When Odahviing took them to Whiterun, Miraak pulled her closer to make sure she was protected enough from the cold air. He didn't hesitate to give a menacing glare to the patrolling guard or any stranger who happened to pass them during walking toward the city gate after Odahviing dropped them near Thundra Homestead. Anyone could be an enemy in disguise, so whenever a stranger was too close to them, Miraak would pose his most intimidating aura to keep them off.

He only let his guard down when they entered Breezehome where Lydia had figured out everything only by seeing her thane's blushing face. Miraak's protective act had somewhat affected her without she could hide.

"I need a warm bath," she told Lydia.

"You can wait in the bathroom, my thane. I'll get it soon." Ammra immediately left his side to hide. Lydia then turned to Miraak," She was dense, but I presume you had made it quite clear. Good luck!" she told him.

The elder Dragonborn remained silent. He didn't expect that from her. Before she left, he told him again, "I prepared some meal. You might want to eat before she makes you travel again soon."

"Soon?"

"My thane always got the inspiration when she soaks herself then often ended up in some sort of traveling after that." Miraak felt as if he just obtained official permission to make his move on Ammra.

Meanwhile, the young confused Dragonborn bathed herself amongst the fragrance water, trying to calm herself while processing everything inside her poor head. She was relieved to know the truth of her parents for sure, but the truth about what Miraak felt was too unexpected. Yet, she also had another thing to worry about: the orbs and their existence that attracted enemies.

She was happy knowing what he felt but something held her back. The untrusting nature toward love that she had been holding tight making her questioned if what he did was just a trick. She just couldn't completely believe it. But her heart was aching when she thought of rejecting him. It's totally different compared with when he rejected other men including Vilkas.

Exasperated, Ammra stepped out of her bathtub then snatched her clothes. That was when she noticed something. "Could it be..." she immediately rummaged the pouch where she gathered all the orbs. A gasp of air escaped her lips when she felt the resonance.

Her hand trembled when she took out two orbs from Dibella and Mara which had turned to be fully blessed. Ammra instinctively understood the riddle and clues she had gathered. She came into a realization that the feeling between them was mutual. 

For some seconds she was speechless. A tear of mixed feeling rolled down. All this time she lived with that partly-broken mental in terms of love and compassion. What an irony she could get it fixed by him, the very person who she thought was of pure evil.