Chapter 50

Tommy conveniently didn’t mention their conversation from the other night, which didn’t surprise Lily at all. Tommy Shelby didn’t like to remember moments of his weakness, the moments where he actually became a human. She was amazed he didn’t ask her to disappear into thin air, so he could erase all witnesses of the night before.

Instead, he asked her not to visit Ada for a few days, a command which left her even more suspicious about the nefarious activities that went down at Shelby Company. She had gathered that an impromptu boxing ring was installed in his office, but he refused to tell her anything else and bade her from asking around. Still, she didn’t give up hope and continued prodding him. 

One morning during breakfast, when they were on the only ones on the table, she said casually, ‘I heard there’s a strike going on in your factory.’

‘Not our factory.’ He said distractedly.

‘The union convener is a woman, isn’t she?’

He paused for a moment, her actions becoming clearer to him. She had been doing that for a while now and mostly in the morning, when he would be in a hurry and distracted as she moved around. Before, she would make breakfast in her formal work clothes but since the past few days, she had been wearing her nightgown and it reminded him of his inability to undress her out of it. And it wasn't a good move to abase Thomas Shelby, something Lily would soon understand.

Until then, he could only ask, ‘Where is the toast?’

‘I heard about her the last time I was in Small Heath. Something about a Bull Ring, I remember.’ She recollected, not at all interested in answering him.

‘The toast, Lily. Some of us have actual work to do.’ He knew it would work and she rolled her eyes at him.

Huffing a little, she put it on his plate with extra force, ‘As if you’re going to eat it.’

‘Are you coming?’ He asked as he put on his overcoat, the toast untouched.

‘Where?’                            

‘To the betting shop.’ He said and immediately regretted after seeing her get agitated. 

‘About that. It’s been more than a month, Tommy. And I still haven’t received my salary.’

‘You said it would be ‘unpleasant’ if I paid you.’

'That's what you tell other women at the betting shop?' She asked scornfully.

‘I’ll write you a check.’ He exhaled and didn’t delay in pulling out his chequebook, not wanting another 'discussion'. As he leaned forward on the table to write, her eyes widened and she looked at him in disbelief.

'What is this?'

‘That’s the standard rate.’ He said as he put his pen back in his pocket.

‘No wonder the workers are on a strike.’ She looked at the cheque and then at him, who was clenching his jaw, trying not to work up his anger.

‘I don’t have time for your nonsense.’

But she wasn't ready to let him go. Sitting in front of him on the table, she said, ‘I think I should tell you how much I deserve. I’ve had to leave my actual job, kill a man, sleep in terrible conditions, almost miss Gerard’s birthday and of course, live with you. You've caused me financial, moral and social trouble. I think it’ll be a lot more than what you’re offering.’

He leaned forward a little to disconcert her and asked, ‘Are you done?’

She gave him a mocking smile and got up, ‘I wouldn't want to keep you from work. Or the boxing ring. I am happy you only watch the matches. What would happen to your 'women' if you broke your nose or your head in the ring?’