CHAPTER 3

The next morning, she wore her black shirt and a pair of dark straight legged pants for her meeting with Gerard. Her hair were tied in a severe bun and no trace of make up on her face. Every year, she spent a part of her Christmas bonus for having her clothes stitched by an old man in London, since no shop sold clothes of her liking in her size. Which was alright, since she liked the feel of clothes stitched just for her. No one could have them, because they were made just for her.

Gerard walked in his office, in his usual collared shirt and a pinstriped suit. His salt and pepper beard was scruffy and he hadn't combed his hair today. For a man who earned and spent so much, Gerard was the least worried about his appearance. He had a sharp-eye when it came to  clothes, but only because they were a form of expression of art. For him, it was the mind which was important. Looks didn't matter.

And perhaps that's why she had embodied his persona. Even in her teens, she hadn't mulled over her looks like the other women in the Guild. She knew she was fairly attractive and her figure was athletic without being manly. But she couldn't care less. For their clients, all the women were mistresses of the men of the Guild. They didn't know that women carried out the major part of the 'collection'. Their bodies had the litheness and delicacy the men lacked. It was one of the reasons she loved the Guild so much. It didn't discriminate between men and women.

'Alright kid. Ready for your punishment?' Gerard said as he sat of the chair next to her.

'Yes Father.' She said in mock innocence.

'Go on, then. I can't wait anymore.'

'You are going to Birmingham.'

She puckered her lips in distaste, but didn't say anything.

When he didn't elaborate, she prodded, 'That's all?'

'You have to get an antique figurine from Elizabeth Gray.'

'Since when did people in Birmingham buy precious art?'

'Since her family got hold of the city.'

'Good. Give me the address and I'll be off.'

'She is a widow. Her kids were taken by the Parrish some fifteen years ago. Currently she is the treasurer of –'

'That would be enough. I'll get packing.'

He sighed at her impatience but didn't stop her. She might be the best he had, but she needed to learn things. Business would suffer with her gone, but this Birmingham trip might turn out to be beneficial for him and her in the long run.

'Edward is coming with you.'

'Why?'

'Because you'll be there for a month. And a single woman in a town like that will turn heads. You both will pretend to be a married couple from London who lost their money and are starting a new life in the city.'

'Wow, Gerard. you should become a writer.' She sniggered.

'Shut up.'

'Alright. Will that be all, sir?'

'Meet Jessie on your way out.'

'Why her?' Jessie Crane was another member of the Guild, who had tricked many Lords with her country girl charm and beauty. But behind her innocence was a woman for whom stealing  was as mundane as picking out a new dress.

'Because you will be Edward's wife. Not his husband.' He said in exasperation.

'I won't wear a dress.'

'You either follow the punishment or pack up to Greece.'

'You are bloody evil. You know that, don't you?'

'Keep your tongue in control because the people there wouldn't hesitate to cut it in a second.'

'Let them try.'

'Go on, now. You have a train to catch tomorrow.'

'Goodbye, Gerard.' She smiled tightly.

'You take care of yourself, kid.'

He patted her head gently.

'You know I will.'